A muffin top is a cute name but hardly a cute look -- it occurs when belly fat spills over pants or shorts. Excess tummy fat can make your clothes fit awkwardly -- or not fit at all. But instead of battling with your jeans' button, you can make smart fashion choices to minimize a muffin top.
Muffin Top Basics
Excess belly fat is the primary cause of a muffin top. When you have extra fat around your midsection, it has nowhere to go but over your waistline. A few factors contribute to a muffin top:
- Bloating caused by hormonal shifts, menopause, gas and food intolerance can lead to an expanded midsection.
- Ill-fitting clothes-- such as a pair of jeans that are a size too small -- can create a muffin top. Small pants will not be able to contain a muffin top.
Your fashion choices can help hide a muffin top:
- Replace low-rise jeans with mid-rise jeans. This waistline offers a more flattering cut that can contain any belly fat.
- Choose pants with ample room in the waistline. The right fit will reduce belly-fat spillover.
- Wear flowy tops that hide belly fat. Empire-waist blouses in loose-fitting fabrics such as chiffon can mask a muffin top.
Eliminate the Excess
A healthy diet and exercise can also help reduce your muffin top. Replace sugar and starchy carbohydrates with a diet rich in fiber and lean proteins. A whole-body workout, such as high-intensity cardio exercise, can also help you fight the flab.
How to Disguise a Midriff Bulge
How to Hide Body Fat With Clothes
How to Dress to Hide a Thick Waist
How to Dress a Big Stomach & Small Legs
Good Swimsuits for Large Stomachs
How to Make a Plus-Size Person Look ...
How to Dress When You Have No Butt
Flattering Clothes for the Rectangle ...
Clothing Styles for Overweight Teens
What Is a Good Dress for a Woman With a ...
Styles for Plus Sized & Short Waisted ...
What Kind of Jeans to Wear to Hide the ...
The Best Cut Jeans for Body Types With ...
Bathing Suits for Women With Stretch ...
Clothing Styles for Big Butts
How Should Men With Big Stomachs Wear ...
How to Dress for a Woman With No Waist
How to Dress a Petite Hourglass Shape
How to Buy Jeans for Girls With Wide ...
How to Hide Your Midlife Tummy
Barbie Carpenter worked as a technical writer and editor in the defense industry for six years. She also served as a newspaper feature page editor and nationally syndicated columnist for the Hearst Corp. Carpenter holds a Bachelor of Science in journalism from the University of Florida and a graduate certificate in professional writing from the University of Central Florida.