A good makeup brush can make the application process easier and quicker, and also give a better result. However, most high-quality brushes tend to be expensive. If you plan on investing in a few good makeup brushes, you can get the best value for your money by purchasing multitasking brushes, which perform different functions in your makeup routine. Here are three brushes that you can use in multiple ways.
1. Round Face Brush
Depending on the size, round faces brushes can perform a few different functions, such as:
- Applying setting powder (which keeps the makeup in place longer and better, and also keeps the skin matte)
- Applying bronzer and contouring the face
- Applying blush to the apples of the cheeks
Makeup brushes are usually made with either Taklon hairs, which are synthetic, or with animal hair, such as goat or sable hair. When shopping for makeup brushes, keep in mind that brushes with synthetic hair work best with cream products, while brushes with natural hair work best with powder products. Taklon brushes tend to be a better option for people with sensitive skin, as they are easier to clean and are less prone to bacteria build up than natural hair brushes.
2. Eye Blending Brush
Blending brushes are specifically designed for the eye area and have a slightly tapered shape. They can be used in several ways, such as:
- Detailed eye shadow application, such a defining the crease of the eye
- Diffusing/blending eye shadows, to soften harsh-looking edges for a more natural look
- Highlighting the skin, both on the brow bone and on the cheekbones
- Blending under-eye concealer
Make sure to wash your brushes at least once a week to prevent bacteria build up, which can cause your skin to break out. A university in the UK recently found deadly meningitis bacteria in makeup products provided by beauty consumers. Some of the products tested in the study had not expired yet.
3. Dual Ended Angled/Spoolie Brush
This type of brush comes with an angled eye brush on one end and a spoolie on the other. It is specifically designed for brow product application. These are a few different ways it can be used:
- Eyebrow powder/wax application (angled side)
- Blending of whatever makeup products has been applied to the eyebrows (pencil, powder, wax) with the spoolie side
- Combing eye lashes, especially to remove clumps after mascara application (spoolie side)
- Gel liner or powder liner application on the top lash line (angled side)