How to Find Someone in the Army Reserves

by Krissi Maarx

When you have lost contact with someone in the Army Reserves, you can use Internet and government resources to re-establish a connection with him. Such services will assist friends and family of the soldier, while others aim to reconnect soldiers who have served alongside one another. A few phone calls to mutual friends and family can help you find a soldier, but you may need to pay a fee to a military locator service for additional information in your search for Army personnel.

Call or write to any friends or family members of the reservist you wish to find. Search the names and general locations of any friends or family through a listing service, such as, and contact them for any information they have on the soldier's whereabouts.

Search social networking sites, such as MySpace and Facebook, for the reservist's profile. Send her a message through the site if you locate her there, but know that she may not receive your message for a while if her unit has been mobilized.

Contact your recruiter if you are a reservist, too, as he may be able to direct you to additional resources for locating a reservist.

Search the reservist's name on, or on the Buddy Finder at, as recommended by The National Archives. See Resources below for links to these services.

Use the Army's Locator Service if you are unable to find the soldier. Gather all of her identifying information, including her name, rank, service number, Social Security number, and last known military address or assignment. Mail this information, your request, and a check for $3.50 to the Locator Service address. The fee is not required from immediate family.

Contact the American Red Cross if you are trying to find a reservist for an emergency or major event within his own family. The Red Cross notes that reservist's and their families should initiate contact with their local Red Cross chapter rather than the national hotline.

Items you will need

  • Internet