How to Find a Daycare's EIN

Jupiterimages/Goodshoot/Getty Images

When filing a tax exemption for childcare expenses, it is necessary that you have the Employer Identification Number (EIN) for your child's daycare. An EIN is used by the Internal Revenue Service to identify individual businesses in the United States. If your childcare is provided by a single unincorporated individual, then that person's Social Security number can be substituted for an EIN on one's taxes. Claim your childcare as an expense on your tax forms to save your family money on its taxes.

Contact the daycare facility at which your children receive care. Ask to speak with the manager or the accountant at the daycare, and then request their EIN. The daycare is required by law to provide you with this information, but if they do not have it available then there are other options for finding their EIN.

Locate a bill you have received form the daycare facility. Sometimes daycare centers will list their EIN on the invoices they send to customers.

Request that the daycare fill out a copy of the IRS form titled "Dependent Care Provider's Identification and Certification." This form can easily be printed from the IRS website, and is linked to in the Resources for this article. The form includes a space for the daycare to write their EIN, as well as other information that is required for a tax exemption.

Contact your state's daycare regulatory body. In most states this is the Secretary of State. Go to the website for your state's Secretary of State, where you will be able to find a list of certified daycare centers and their EINs. Unfortunately, this information is not available on the website of all secretaries of state. If this is not the case, then you can contact the Secretary of State by phone to request the EIN number for your daycare.