According to MayoClinic.com, wrinkles are caused by exposure to ultraviolet light, smoking, the repeated use of facial expressions like smiling or frowning, and, of course, simply aging. While wrinkles may be impossible to prevent, there are some home remedies that can be used to make them appear less visible, giving you an overall younger look, according to Julia Lawless, author of "The Encyclopedia of Essential Oils: The Complete Guide to The Use of Aromatic Oils In Aromatherapy, Herbalism, Health and Well Being.”
Combine ½ tsp. carrot seed essential oil, ½ tsp. elemi essential oil, ½ tsp. sweet fennel essential oil, ¼ tsp. palmarosa essential oil, ¼ tsp. myrrh essential oil and ½ cup jojoba oil in a small container.
Cover the container with a tight-fitting lid or plastic wrap and rubber band. Gently shake the mixture for five to 10 seconds to thoroughly combine the ingredients.
Massage a very small amount of the mixture onto the eyelids for one to two minutes. Leave the mixture on the eyelids in a reclining position for 30 minutes or until the oil is nearly dry.
Rinse the skin with cool, clean water and pat dry with a clean towel.
Wash the skin with a gentle cleanser you have used before without irritation. Pat the skin dry and apply your regular moisturizer.
Apply this mixture to wrinkled eyelids once per day as long as necessary. If the mixture bothers your skin or causes redness that doesn’t fade shortly, discontinue use.
Store the oil mixture in a dark, cool and dry place like a medicine cabinet or kitchen cupboard. Discard unused portions after 60 days.
- "The Encyclopedia of Essential Oils: The Complete Guide to The Use of Aromatic Oils In Aromatherapy, Herbalism, Health and Well Being"; Julia Lawless; 2002
- MayoClinic.com: Wrinkles
- "The Essential Oils Book: Creating Personal Blends for Mind & Body"; Colleen Kaye Dodt; 2006
- Always use therapeutic-grade essential oils for skin care, as they are the most powerful and will benefit your skin the most.
- Essential oils can be purchased from most health food stores as well as online stores.
- If you are concerned about allergic reactions or negative interaction between essential oils and medicine you are currently taking, consult your doctor before starting this treatment.