A Simple Holiday Favorite You Can Make in Less Than an Hour
Sweet potato casserole is a holiday favorite and crowd pleaser your family can enjoy all year long. Crunchy pecan topping laced with brown sugar makes this version an extra decadent treat with color that can brighten up any table. It’s simple to make, containing a relatively short list of common ingredients, and takes less than an hour from start to finish.
To save time the day you plan to serve it, prepare the mashed sweet potatoes in advance, or use canned sweet potato puree. It’s also a great way to make use of leftover mashed sweet potatoes. Store leftover casserole in your fridge, topped with plastic wrap or foil, for up to a week.
Total Time: 40 minutes | Prep Time: 10 minutes | Serves: 8
- 4 tablespoons salted butter, melted
- 3 cups mashed sweet potatoes (about 4 potatoes)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup all-purpose or white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- Heat your oven to 350F, and grease a 2-quart baking dish.
- Prepare the filling in a large bowl by whisking together the butter, mashed sweet potatoes, milk, brown sugar, vanilla, salt and eggs.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish.
- For the topping, combine the flour, brown sugar, butter, cinnamon and salt in a medium bowl, stirring until it's moistened and clumps form.
- Stir in the pecans, and then spread the topping evenly over the sweet potatoes.
- Place the dish in your oven to bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the potatoes are mostly set in the center and the top appears golden brown.
Make Ahead Scalloped Potatoes
Easy Homemade Chocolate Chip Cookies ...
How to Make Simple Glazed Walnuts
How to Make Sweet Brown Rice
How to Cook Large Brown Mushrooms
Calories in One Cup of Butternut Squash
How to Use My Day Old Cornbread to Make ...
Sugar-Free Coconut Cream Pie
How to Make Baked Sweet Potato Hash ...
How to Prepare French Toast in Advance
How to Bake Sugar Free Cheese Cake
How to Make Toasted Bread Sticks With ...
How to Make Fresh Strawberry Frosting ...
Easy Peach Cobbler Recipe
How to Cook a Delicata Squash
How to Make a White Decorator Icing
How to Make Homemade Wax Strips
How to Cook Fresh Sauerkraut and ...
The Calories in a Slice of Sweet Potato ...
Calories in a Bowl of Raisin Bran Cereal
August McLaughlin is a health and sexuality writer and author of "Girl Boner: The Good Girl's Guide to Sexual Empowerment." Her work appears in Cosmopolitan, The Washington Post, DAME Magazine, LIVESTRONG.com and more. augustmclaughlin.com