The advent of fall brings some of the best feasts and treats of the year. One of my personal favorites is good, old-fashioned pumpkin pie. While this recipe has been in my family for years, I’ve updated it with a fun twist by adding a jack-o-lantern face. Cute and delicious. What could be better?
Directions for Making the Dough
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Combine the flour, salt and sugar in a medium sized bowl.
- Using a pastry blender, cut in pieces of the butter and shortening until the mixture resembles small peas. Stir in water until the dough forms.
- Gather the dough into a ball and divide into three even pieces. Wrap each piece in plastic wrap, forming a disk, and refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight.
- Roll out two of the three disks and place onto pie plates. Reserve the third disk for the jack-o-lantern face pieces.
- Cover the dough with foil and place pie weights, dried beans or rice on top.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove the foil and weights, and bake uncovered for 10 minutes until the pie sets.
- Remove from the oven and let cool.
Directions for Making the Filling
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Using a heavy bottom saucepan, scald the milk.
- Let cool.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, combine the spices, sugar and pumpkin.
- Add the eggs to the cooled milk, and then add to the pumpkin mixture.
- Pour the batter evenly into the two baked pie shells.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 425 degrees, and then reduce heat to 375 degrees. Bake for an additional 30 to 40 minutes or until an inserted knife comes out clean.
- Let cool and then chill in the refrigerator.
Directions for Making the Jack-o-lantern Face Pieces (and Putting It All Together!)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Roll out the third disk of dough onto a lightly floured surface.
- Using a sharp knife, cut out the jack-o-lantern pieces: The eyes, nose and mouth.
- Cut out some extra pieces in case some break or burn while baking.
- Bake 8 to 12 minutes or until golden.
- Let cool.
- Place on top of the baked pie. Serve and enjoy!