While everyone deserves a birthday cake, people with egg and dairy allergies often have a hard time enjoying this treat. If you know someone who has food allergies, surprise them with a cake that is made without milk or eggs. This is also a good option for people watching their cholesterol, if you use a cooking oil that is heart-healthy. This made-from-scratch, milk- and egg-free chocolate cake is sure to please everyone who tries it. And unless you tell, no one will know what's missing from the cake.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a glass baking dish with non-stick spray. Check the label to make sure it's non-dairy.
Combine flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Whisk together until blended.
Combine oil, vinegar, vanilla and water in another bowl.
Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and stir until just mixed.
Pour cake batter into the baking dish. Bake the cake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the middle comes out clean. Let the cake cool and frost it.
- You can make a smaller cake by cutting the ingredients in half and using an 8 or 9 inch round pan.
- This recipe also makes great cupcakes!! Bake cupcakes for approximately 15 minutes.
- Don't plan on turning this cake out of the pan, as it tends to crumble. If you need to turn it out, place parchment paper on the bottom of the pan.
- MAKE SURE YOU CHECK THE INGREDIENTS IN YOUR FROSTING!!! A dairy free cake with dairy in the frosting can be dangerous to milk-allergic individuals!
- Brand X Pictures/Brand X Pictures/Getty Images