An easy, beautiful buttercream that you'll make again and again
Because you always have the option to buy frosting in a can, a homemade recipe needs to be something extra special. This easy chocolate buttercream is almost as quick and convenient as tossing a can in your shopping cart, but the final product tastes so much better and is perfect for everything from topping a birthday cake to piping on cupcakes or spreading over sugar cookies.
Total Time: 5 minutes | Prep Time: 5 minutes | Yields: 2 1/2 cups (about enough to frost 12 cupcakes or one 8-inch layer cake)
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons instant espresso powder (optional, for a more intense chocolate flavor)
- Using an electric mixer, beat the butter on high speed until it is light and creamy, 1 to 2 minutes. Shut off the mixer.
- Sift in the powdered sugar and cocoa powder. Without turning the mixer on, stir until the frosting begins to absorb the powders. Turn the mixer on low and pour in the milk, salt, vanilla and espresso powder (if using).
- Turn the mixer back up to high and beat on high speed for 2 minutes, until the frosting is light and fluffy.
How to Make Cake Frosting Into a ...
Easy White Cake Recipe
How to Make Ready Made Frosting Into a ...
How to Bake Sugar Free Cheese Cake
How to Make Drizzle Icing From Frosting ...
How to Make a White Decorator Icing
Pot Sticker Dipping Sauce Recipe
Easy Peanut Butter Frosting Recipe
No Bake Cookies With Quick Oats Recipe
How to Remove Cake Frosting From Clothes
How to Get Hot Pink Colored Frosting
How to Thicken Icing With Sugar
Easy Italian Cream Cake Recipe
How to Fix Grainy Whipped Ganache
Easy Vanilla Cupcake Recipe
How to Make White Drizzle Frosting
Making Chocolate From Cocoa Powder
How to Make Homemade Frosting With ...
How to Make Lactose Free Icing
How to Store Leftover Pancake Batter
Carly Schuna is a Wisconsin-based professional writer, editor and copy editor/proofreader. She has worked with hundreds of pieces of fiction, nonfiction, children's literature, feature stories and corporate content. Her expertise on food, cooking, nutrition and fitness information comes from a Level 1 personal training certification and years of in-depth study.