Use Fresh Fruit for a Sweet Treat Made From Scratch
When sweet strawberries start to flood the farmers markets, take advantage of the opportunity to bake a cake. It's a good way to get your kids to eat a little extra fruit while still enjoying a yummy treat. Baking this cake is easy, so you can whip it up anytime without waiting for a special occasion to come along. It's just right for a late-afternoon snack for you and the whole family.
Total Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes | Prep Time: 20 minutes | Serves: 8 to 10
- Cooking spray
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup, plus 1 tablespoon, granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 3/4 pound strawberries, hulled and halved
- Heat the oven to 350 F. Spray a 9-inch round cake pan with cooking spray.
- In a medium-size bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl, use an electric or stand mixer to beat the butter and 1 cup of sugar for at least 3 minutes, or until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg and vanilla.
- Alternate adding the milk and the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, beating on low speed until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the cake pan and smooth the top with a spatula. Arrange the strawberries, cut side down, on top of the batter, and sprinkle the tops with 1 tablespoon sugar.
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes, and then reduce the heat to 325 F. Bake for another 50 minutes, or until the cake is slightly golden on top and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and let it cool for 10 minutes. Use a knife to release the cake from the pan, turn out the cake and let it cool on a wire rack.
How to Make a White Decorator Icing
Directions for an Egg-Shaped Cake for ...
How to Make Fresh Strawberry Frosting ...
Easy White Cake Recipe
Easy Pumpkin Roll Recipe
How to Cook Strawberries
The Ultimate Healthy Carrot Cake Recipe
How to Bake an Eggless Cake With a ...
How to Make Lactose Free Icing
How to Make a Princess Doll Using the ...
How to Freeze a Fruitcake
Easy Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
How to Eat Raspberries
3 Easy Bundt Cake Recipes
How to Make Mango Preserves
Easy Vanilla Cupcake Recipe
Butter Substitute for Molten Lava Cake
Simple Chocolate Frosting Recipe
Easy Peach Cobbler Recipe
How to Make Chocolate Fudge Buttercream ...
Kelsey Casselbury is a freelance writer and editor based in central Maryland. Not only a freelance writer, editor, and designer, she is also a mom of a preschooler, a volunteer for two nonprofit organizations, and an avid reader, cook, and piano player. She has a bachelor's degree in journalism from The Pennsylvania State University.