A Sweet, Creamy Layer Cake With Pecans
Italian cream cake tastes as decadent as it sounds. The soft, crumbly cake is layered up with whipped cream-cheese frosting, and the pecans allow you to spread the frosting on without worrying about “perfection,” which is supposed to have lumps and bumps. All you need is a short list of common ingredients, made especially simple thanks to the inclusion of a basic white cake mix.
Total Time: 210 minutes | Prep Time: 30 minutes | Serves: 10
- 1 (16-ounce) package white cake mix
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1/4 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 1 1/4 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2/3 cup chopped pecans
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Heat your oven to 350F, and grease and lightly flour three 9-inch round cake pans.
- To prepare the cake, beat the cake mix, eggs, buttermilk and oil together in a large bowl, using a hand mixer or an electric mixer, at medium speed.
- Once the batter has a smooth consistency, stir in the coconut and pecans.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pans, and then place them in the oven to bake for 15 minutes, or until a toothpick or fork inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool the cakes in the pans on wire racks for 10 minutes, and then gently empty them out to continue cooling on the wire racks.
- To prepare the frosting, beat the cream cheese and butter together until they have a smooth consistency.
- Gradually add the powdered sugar, beating the mixture until it’s light and fluffy.
- Stir in the vanilla and pecans.
- Once the cakes are completely cool, frost one, and then top it with another cake. Frost that cake, then add the last. Then frost the top and sides of the layers.
The Best Homemade German Chocolate Cake ...
How Early Can You Make a Wedding Cake?
Do You Need to Refrigerate Whipped ...
How to Make a White Decorator Icing
Easy White Cake Recipe
How to Make a Two-Layered Birthday Cake ...
How to Make Chocolate Fudge Buttercream ...
How to Make a Ricotta Cheesecake
Easy Homemade Chocolate Chip Cookies ...
How Long Does Banana Bread Stay Fresh?
Cast Iron Skillet Cake Recipe You Need ...
Easy Vanilla Cupcake Recipe
Can I Use Vanilla Buttercream Frosting ...
How to Make Mexican Wedding Cookies
Calories in a Funfetti Cake With ...
How to Make Fresh Strawberry Frosting ...
Calories in Fairy Cake
How to Make Almond Buttercream Frosting
How to Make a Box Cake Firmer to Frost
Perfect Peanut Butter Cookies
August McLaughlin is a health and sexuality writer and author of "Girl Boner: The Good Girl's Guide to Sexual Empowerment." Her work appears in Cosmopolitan, The Washington Post, DAME Magazine, LIVESTRONG.com and more. augustmclaughlin.com