Items you will need
- 1 1/2 cups pastry flour or other high-gluten flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup cold water
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp white vinegar
- 11-by-7 inch non-stick cake pan or brownie pan
Egg whites help bind the ingredients of a cake together. However, certain adjustments, such as using a flour with high gluten content, contributes the same binding properties as egg whites in many recipes. Alternatively, an equivalent amount of egg substitute can be supplanted for eggs in many preparations.
Basic Chocolate Cake
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Add the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, sugar and salt to a baking pan. Incorporate all the ingredients thoroughly with a whisk.
Slowly add the oil, water and vanilla extract to the dry ingredients in the baking pan, fully mixing each amount before adding more. Add the vinegar and whisk thoroughly. Allow the batter to settle.
Place the pan in the oven and bake for approximately 25 to 30 minutes, or until the center is set. Remove and allow to cool.
- O Chef: How to Make Eggless Cakes
- "The Professional Chef 8th Edition"; The Culinary Institute of America; 2006
- 4 eggs image by timur1970 from Fotolia.com