Your sideburns are part of what distinguishes you from the crowd. When facial hair begins to show signs of gray, however, your once youthful-looking sideburns seem to lose the handsome luster that made them one of your most attractive features. Although some men may reach for a razor to shave off the gray, there's no need to take such drastic measures. You can return sideburns to their former glory by using readily available facial hair dye kits.
Line the bathroom sink with old towels to avoid staining the countertops.
Change into an old shirt that you won't mind staining, and put on a pair of plastic or latex gloves to protect your hands.
Mix the dye according to the directions. Use the back of a comb or blunt end of the application brush to stir the dye.
Wipe the stirring utensil with a wet paper towel to avoid making a mess and reseal the dye container.
Working in front of a well-lit mirror, brush the dye into your sideburns with short, up and down motions until both sideburns are evenly coated. Apply light pressure and use caution to avoid getting the dye into your ears or eyes.
Evaluate both sideburns in the mirror to ensure complete coverage. Add more dye to the applicator brush and touch up any areas you missed during the first application.
Set a timer or stopwatch to the time suggested by the manufacturer. Follow the manufacturer's time instructions precisely -- leaving the dye on for too long can result in skin irritation or undesirable color results.
Rinse the brush with warm water and store the dye materials in a cool, dry space while you wait for the dye to set.
Turn on the shower and adjust the water temperature to warm.
Disrobe and enter the shower as soon as the timer goes off. Rinse the sideburns with warm water until the water runs clear, and thoroughly wash the areas with a mild shampoo. Use a shampoo specifically designed to clean color-treated hair to avoid fading.
Turn the shower off and pat the sideburns with an old towel or cloth to ensure you have completely removed the dye. Shampoo the site once more if necessary.
- Read the instructions and warnings printed by the manufacturer and take any precautions recommended to avoid poor results and health hazards.
- Wear an old button-down shirt to avoid smearing the dye when your disrobe.
- Purchase a dye kit specifically designed for coarse, male facial hairs. Ensure that the color closely matches your natural facial hair color.
- Conduct a skin allergy test beforehand if one is included with the dye kit.
- Do not apply dye to your eyebrows, eyelashes, body hair or head.
- Remove the dye immediately if you experience burning or irritation at the application site.
- Contact a physician immediately if you experience an allergic reaction.
- Marili Forastieri/Photodisc/Getty Images