Transitioning from casually to exclusively dating can at times be confusing, nerve-wracking or uncomfortable, especially if you are unsure you're both on same page. You may be worried about bringing up the boyfriend-girlfriend talk too soon, risking scarring your date off, or too late, which may send the impression that you're not interested in pursuing an exclusive relationship. Despite these fears, taking the steps to clarify where you are in your relationship and let you know, definitively, if you're "boyfriend-girlfriend" or not.
Examine the time that you spend together. If you don't spend too many nights and weekends apart, bringing up the boyfriend-girlfriend talk may be the natural progression for your relationship. If you find that your sweetheart spends time making excuses not to get together or only wants to see you on his or her terms, the interest in dating exclusively might not be mutual.
Choose a time and place to have the conversation in a meaningful manner. A romantic dinner after dating for three months, or a day trip to the beach might make for an excellent backdrop to bring up the subject of exclusively dating.
Tell him how much you enjoy spending time with him and wait his for response. If you still feel comfortable after his response, tell him that you would like to exclusively date him and be his girlfriend.
How to Season Flour for Fried Chicken
How to Make Homemade Shower Gel
How to Make Toasted Bread Sticks With ...
How to Get a Marriage Certificate Online
How to Change the Battery in a Luminox ...
How to Cook Hominy in a Slow Cooker
How to Freeze Dewberries
How to Blanch Kale for Freezing
How to Help Your Friend Get Over a Guy ...
How to Marinate & Dry Rub Beef Ribs
How Do I Change the Time on a Timex ...
How to Roast an Eye Round Roast at High ...
How to Bake Boneless Skinless Tilapia
How to Clean Scuffed Up Rain Boots
How to Meet Nice Gay Men
How to Soften Leather Jackets
How to Respond to a Compliment From a ...
Calories in One Slice Provolone Cheese
How to Make a Lip Mask for Extremely ...
How Long Does Banana Bread Stay Fresh?
- Journal of Personal and Social Relationships: Consequences of Relationship Status and Quality for Subjective Well-Being
- Journal of Personal and Social Relationships: Relationship Uncertainty, Partner Interference, and Intimacy Within Dating Relationships
- Journal of Personal and Social Relationships: Predicting Intentions to Engage in Casual Sex
- Journal of Personal and Social Relationships: Relationship Resources for Coping With Unfulfilled Standards in Dating Relationships: Commitment, Satisfaction, and Closeness
- Though it may seem scary, be upfront and direct when bringing up the boyfriend-girlfriend talk. Being direct with your statements will send a clear message of your intentions and expectations. If he is put off by your advances, he may not be someone worthy of calling a boyfriend.
- Sexual intimacy may not always be a predictor of the desire for relationship exclusivity.
Anthony Oster is a licensed professional counselor who earned his Master of Science in counseling psychology at the University of Southern Mississippi. He has served as a writer and lead video editor for a small, South Louisiana-based video production company since 2007. Oster is the co-owner of a professional photography business and advises the owner on hardware and software acquisitions for the company.