- How to Tell My Overprotective Parents That I Have a Boyfriend
- How to Tell Your Parents That You Have a Boyfriend
- What Is the Proper Etiquette for Parents of Bride and Groom Meeting for the First Time?
- How to Tell Your Parents About a Long-Distance Relationship
- How to Appreciate Your Mother While She Is Still Alive
Talking to your parents about your boyfriend is nothing if not stressful, and this stress gets worse when it comes time to invite him over. If you want to make a good impression and help your parents open up to the new boy in your life, it is best to ask their permission before he visits. Most parents understand that young teens are going to eventually start dating, so as long as you are polite and honest during the conversation everything should work out fine.
Ask your parents to set aside some time after dinner for a private conversation, especially if you have siblings. Your parents are likely very busy and scheduling will help ensure everyone is available.
Have this chat with your parents early in the week. They may need time to think about their decision, so if you want to make plans for the weekend it is best to think ahead.
Tell your parents about your boyfriend and let them know you would like them to meet him. This is especially effective if you let them know their approval is important to you.
Tell your parents you would like your boyfriend to come over for dinner with the whole family. This is an excellent first visit as it allows your parents and boyfriend to get to know one another.
- Goodshoot RF/Goodshoot/Getty Images