If you'd like to give yourself a facial at home, include a facial sauna in your plans. Facial saunas use steam to provide deep cleaning of the pores of the face. Regular use of a facial sauna may help reduce breakouts and improve the appearance of your skin. Because they are designed to focus steam on your face, facial saunas are also helpful when you are congested or have a cold.
Measure the correct amount of distilled water for your brand of facial sauna and pour it into the reservoir. Place the facial mask on the sauna.
Plug the machine into a safe electrical outlet. Turn the machine on and allow it to preheat. Heating takes about three to five minutes, depending on your particular sauna.
Clean your face while you are waiting for the sauna to heat.
Place your face near the opening of the facial mask and allow the steam to bathe your face. Adjust the intensity of the steam by moving closer to or farther away from the opening of the facial mask. If desired, use a towel to create a tent over your head.
Steam your face for a minimum of five minutes and a maximum of 15 to 30 minutes, according to the manufacturer's instructions.
Pat your face dry gently when the sauna is completed. Apply moisturizer designed for your skin type.
Turn the sauna off. Allow the unit to cool, then empty any remaining water. Clean the machine according to manufacturer's directions and store for its next use.
- Always clean your hands thoroughly before touching your face.
- You may gently exfoliate your skin after using the sauna and before applying moisturizer.
- Try placing a few drops of eucalyptus essential oil in the sauna and inhaling the steam deeply to relieve congestion.
- If your facial sauna stops producing steam before you have finished your sauna, turn off the unit, add more water and begin again.
- Always use appropriate caution when using electrical appliances with water; carefully read and follow all manufacturer's directions.
- Do not move the unit when it contains water.
- Steam can cause burns; use caution when using a facial sauna.
- Do not use a facial sauna unit as a humidifier.
- Do not use the facial sauna without water.
- Carla de Koning /Demand Media