If you have combination skin, you have to deal with both dry and oily skin types. The center zone, including your forehead, nose and chin, is typically oily; your cheeks and areas around your mouth and eyes are usually dry. Facial cleansers for combination skin should include ingredients that help balance the dry and oily areas. These ingredients vary depending on the primary condition of your skin. Making your own facial cleanser allows you to customize an effective formula specific to the needs of your skin.
Combine the liquid castile soap and water in a small mixing bowl. Stir with a wire whisk until the ingredients are well combined.
Add the aloe vera gel or witch hazel to the soap mixture, and whisk again to combine. Use aloe vera if your skin is primarily dry, and use witch hazel if your skin is primarily oily.
Add the vegetable glycerin, and the olive oil or apple cider vinegar to the mixture. Stir well to combine. Use olive oil if your skin is primarily dry, and vinegar if your skin is primarily oily.
Stir in the lavender essential oil, and transfer the mixture to a glass or plastic storage bottle with a tight-fitting lid. Label with the contents, and store in a cool, dry place for up to six months. For maximum freshness, use within 90 days.
- Holistic Online: Combination Skin
- Natural Skin Care; Joni Loughran
- Aromatherapy: A Complete Guide to the Healing Art; Kathi Keville, Mindy Green
- Nature's Weeds, Native Medicine; Marie Miczak
- If you don't have access to liquid Castile soap, use any unscented liquid soap available, as long as it does not include additives.
- If lavender essential oil is not available, use any other essential oil that benefits combination skin. In her book “Aromatherapy: A Complete Guide to the Healing Art,” Kathi Keville recommends geranium, neroli, rose or ylang-ylang, because they treat both dry and oily skin.
- Joni Loughran, author of “Natural Skin Care,” recommends cleansing combination skin twice daily -- once in the morning and again in the evening. After using your homemade cleanser, use a gentle toner followed with a light moisturizer.