Simple Mexican-Style Chicken That Cooks for Hours
This salsa chicken recipe could hardly be any easier. You simply throw the chicken, salsa, corn, beans and garlic together in your slow cooker and turn the dial. Because it cooks all day, or for at least a few hours, the chicken breasts take on a sumptuous texture and flavor you wouldn’t get from grilling or cooking chicken in your oven. Unlike other salsa chicken recipes, this one uses Mexican-style corn, which adds a touch of sweetness, plus the color of red and green peppers, and minced garlic.
Be sure to use mild salsa for any spice-sensitive taste buds in your household, or hotter salsa if you all prefer extra heat. You can always serve hot sauce or peppers on the side for the spice lovers. Keep in mind that slow-cooking deepens flavors, hotter spices included.
Serve the chicken rolled up, taco style, with whatever toppings your family loves. You can also serve it over rice or atop mixed greens with tortilla chips for a taco-style salad.
Total Time: 3 hours, 5 minutes to 8 hours, 5 minutes | Prep Time: 5 minutes | Serves: 10
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 (16-ounce) jar salsa
- 1 (11-ounce) can Mexican-style corn
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can black or pinto beans, drained
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- Corn tortillas
- Shredded cheddar or Mexican blend cheese, chopped lettuce and diced tomatoes, for optional topping
- Place the chicken breasts, salsa, corn and beans into your slow cooker.
- Set the cooker on low to cook for 6 to 8 hours, or high to cook for 3 to 4 hours.
- Once the chicken is finished, serve it warm on on top of corn tortillas with desired toppings, such as cheese, lettuce and tomatoes—or allow your family members to create their own roll-ups.
How to Barbecue Chicken in the Slow ...
Tasty Crock-Pot Honey Garlic Chicken ...
What Can I Substitute for Poppy Seeds ...
How to Slow Cook Brown Rice & Chicken
How to Cook Chicken Bratwurst
How to Make Easy Baked Spicy Chicken ...
How to Make Tortilla Soup
Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
How to Cook Fresh Turnip Greens
The Best Homemade Taco Seasoning Mix
How to: Crock-Pot Lima Bean Soup
Good Marinade for a Chicken & Steak ...
How do I Make Taco Salad Bowls From ...
Easy Tortilla Soup Recipe
How to Cook Trevally
How to Par-Cook Chicken Before Frying
How to Fry Precooked Chicken
How to Cook Boneless Top Chuck Steak in ...
How to Can Pickled Corn in Jars
For How Long Do You Cook Hominy Posole?
August McLaughlin is a health and sexuality writer and author of "Girl Boner: The Good Girl's Guide to Sexual Empowerment." Her work appears in Cosmopolitan, The Washington Post, DAME Magazine, LIVESTRONG.com and more. augustmclaughlin.com