General Tso's Delight: Chicken So Savory You Might Never Get Take-Out Again
With a sticky sweetness that has just enough pleasant tartness to pull all the flavors together, sweet and sour chicken is an American classic. So classic, in fact, it's considered the most popular Hunanese dish in the USA by the Smithsonian. And the best part? It only takes about 20 minutes for you to make at home.
Total Time: 20 minutes | Prep Time: 20 minutes | Serves: 4 to 6
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken breast, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 medium eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 1 green pepper, sliced
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2/3 cup pineapple juice
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- Sesame seeds (optional)
- Season the chicken with kosher salt and pepper. Dredge the chicken in 3/4 cup of cornstarch and shake off the excess.
- Coat the chicken in the beaten eggs until evenly coated. Next, heat the vegetable oil in a saute pan.
- Brown the chicken, about 5 minutes. Add the peppers, and saute until they're slightly softened, about 4 minutes.
- As the chicken cooks, whisk together the water and 1 tablespoon of cornstarch. Then, in the same bowl, whisk in the pineapple juice, vinegar, brown sugar, ketchup and soy sauce.
- Add the sauce to the pan with the chicken. Continue cooking for 5 minutes. Garnish with sesame seeds if desired, and serve over warm white rice.
How to Slow Cook Brown Rice & Chicken
What Can I Substitute for Poppy Seeds ...
How to Par-Cook Chicken Before Frying
How to Make Chicken Pot Pie With Puff ...
How to Barbecue Chicken in the Slow ...
How to Cook Arroz Chaufa
How to Cook Chicken Bratwurst
How to Make Boneless Chicken Thighs on ...
How to Make Chinese Chicken in a Slow ...
Easy Parmesan Crusted Chicken Recipe
Easy Indian Butter Chicken Recipe
How to Slow Cook Chicken With Tomatoes ...
Can I Put Alcohol in Chicken When ...
Easy Way to Cook Chicken Breasts for ...
Baked BBQ Chicken Recipe
Pot Sticker Dipping Sauce Recipe
How to Make Moist Baked Chicken Breasts ...
How to Cook Half a Breast of Chicken
Nutritional Information for Chicken ...
How to Cook Chicken Thighs
A.J. Andrews' work has appeared in Food and Wine, Fricote and "BBC Good Food." He lives in Europe where he bakes with wild yeast, milks goats for cheese and prepares for the Court of Master Sommeliers level II exam. Andrews received formal training at Le Cordon Bleu.