Prep the Night Before and Wake Up Ready to Eat
There's nothing like waking up to the smell of breakfast ready to eat. Rather than pouring another bowl of cereal for the kids, fill them up with protein and veggies and send them on their way. A Crock-Pot breakfast casserole cooks on low overnight, so it's ready to go as soon as the family wakes up.
Cooking on low heat, rather than high, is important. While most Crock-Pot recipes can be adjusted for high and low temperatures based upon how much time you have, egg-based dishes don't do well over high heat. They'll end up rubbery and unevenly cooked. Keeping the slow cooker on low, however, will ensure that your breakfast casserole has a creamy texture.
Total Time: 7 hours, 10 minutes | Prep Time: 10 minutes | Serves: 6 to 8
- 12 large eggs
- 2 cups 2-percent milk
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 cups cubed, crusty bread
- 1 pound breakfast sausage, cooked and drained
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- Spray the inside of a 6-quart Crock-Pot with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, crack the eggs and use a whisk to mix until the eggs are slightly frothy. Add the milk, salt and pepper.
- In the prepared Crock-Pot, arrange the bread in an even layer. Top with sausage, 1 1/2 cups of shredded cheese, onion and bell pepper.
- Pour the egg mixture over the top, ensuring that the bread is completely submerged in liquid. Top with remaining cheese.
- Cover the Crock-Pot and set it to cook on low for 7 hours.
How to Cook Grits in the Microwave
How to Make Quaker Oatmeal
How to Refresh Dried Fruits: Raisins
How to Make Scrambled Egg With Spinach
What to Bring to a Potluck Breakfast
Crock Pot Cooking for Breakfast
Can You Cook Cornbread in a Slow Cooker?
How to Bake Bread in a Clay Pot
How to Cook Over-Easy Eggs in a ...
How to Cook Steel-Cut Oats in a Slow ...
Best Crock-Pot Chicken Noodle Soup ...
Calories in a Bowl of Raisin Bran Cereal
Calories in a Pint of Egg Drop Soup
How to Make Goetta in a Crock-Pot
How to Make Frozen Breakfast Burritos
How to Cook Oat Groats in a Crock Pot
How to Use a Nordic Ware Omelette Maker ...
How to Cook Chicken Cutlets Without ...
How to Microwave Steel Cut Oats
How Long Does It Take to Cook Linguine?
Kelsey Casselbury is a freelance writer and editor based in central Maryland. Not only a freelance writer, editor, and designer, she is also a mom of a preschooler, a volunteer for two nonprofit organizations, and an avid reader, cook, and piano player. She has a bachelor's degree in journalism from The Pennsylvania State University.