Known for their distinctive flavor, Pismo clams are found in the sandy beaches of the Pacific coast — stretching from Mexico then to Pismo Beach and up north to Monterey Bay. These clams are commonly harvested by recreational clammers (with a bag limit of 10 clams per day for each clammer) and used in a variety of flavorful dishes, usually in chowders or soups. If you don’t feel like soup, say, on a particularly hot day, a delicious option is to bake your clams stuffed with cheese for a rich, flavorful treat you can enjoy with refreshing drinks.
Place the clams in a bucket of sea water after harvesting, as salt water cleans the clams and makes them easier to open. If you purchased your clams from the market and have no access to sea water, clean the clams in a bowl of water with a bit of salt and cornmeal, and scrub with a kitchen brush if necessary
Add the clean clams to a large pot of boiling water. Reduce to a simmer and steam clams for 6 to 10 minutes until they open. Take them from the pot and let cool. Place the clam broth to the side.
Separate the clam meat from the shells with a clam knife and mince. Detach the shells from their hinges, keep 10 of the best shells and wash them for later.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Meanwhile, melt the butter in a sauté pan. Add the onions and then the garlic once the onions have softened. After a minute, add the clams, parsley, bread crumbs, clam juice and lemon juice then stir until the stuffing mixture is evenly moistened.
Spoon the mixture onto the clam shells laid out on the baking dish. Dust the clams with grated Parmesan and bake for 20 to 25 minutes until the cheese browns.
How to Cook Mussels & Clams Together
How to Clean Soft-Shell Clams (Steamers)
How to Steam Littleneck Clams
How to Make Sure Cooked Clams Have No ...
Cooking Dried Banh Pho Noodles
How to Cook Clams in the Shell
How to Purge Sand Out of Clams With ...
How to Steam a Quahog
How to Cook a Pot of Steamers
How to Cook Shucked Frozen Clams
How to Cook Middle Neck Clams
How Long Do Shucked Oysters Stay Fresh?
Types of Edible Clams
How to Buy Clams
How to Cook Quahogs
How to Cook Shucked Frozen Clams
How to Cook Whelks
How to Cook Littleneck Clams
Can You Freeze Raw Oysters?
How to Clean Your Merrell Shoes
- “California’s Living Marine Sources: A Status Report”; Pismo Clams; Christine A. Pattison; December 2001
- Pismo Beach Visitor Information Guide - Pismo Beach, California: The Pismo Clam
- Recipetips.com: How to Prepare and Open Clams
- "Simply Recipes"; Baked Stuffed Clams; Elise Bauer; July 2008
- “The Seattle Times”; Sea Treats: Preparing Clams; CeCe Sullivan; July 2004
- If the stuffing mixture turns out to be too wet, add more bread crumbs. On the other hand, if it becomes too dry, add more butter or clam juice.
- Clams are best cooked as soon as possible, but if you want to store them, remember that clams should be kept no longer than three days. Before cooking, make sure to discard clams with broken shells and those that are already open but do not close when tapped (these clams are no longer alive).
- Note that exposure to heat may cause clam meat to toughen so keep a close eye when cooking.
Bernard Yao began his career as a technical writer and consultant in 2000. His specialties include Web technology, fitness and travel. Yao has traveled throughout the US and 10 other countries. He received a Bachelor of Science in computer science from the University of California, Irvine, where he earned industry certifications from IBM and Sun Microsystems.