I try adding flavor to my recipes with minimal ingredients, and I’ve noticed many of my readers love the taste of beer. It adds an extra kick of flavor and will surely have your taste buds dancing! Just be sure you are using gluten-free beer if you have celiac disease or are gluten-intolerant.
This recipe only requires one bottle of beer, but you can add two if you want a stronger flavor. Think of these fajitas as a deconstructed spring roll. Lettuce, carrots, tomatoes and peanuts give this a crunchy texture. Grilled shrimp slathered in gluten-free beer is the perfect protein, and the coconut milk yogurt topping that rounds out the flavor is dairy-free! I often sprinkle a touch of chili powder into the mix to add some heat and complement the beer taste.
These fajitas are such a fun and easy dish to serve in the spring and summer. I often put a small serving of kimchi and pickled vegetables on the side for extra flavor. Kimchi is so flavorful and a great source of good bacteria for your gut, which is beneficial for those with celiac disease, IBS or other gastrointestinal issues. And since 80 percent of your immune system is in your stomach, it’s a good idea to make sure you’re eating probiotic and prebiotic foods each day. If you are feeling adventurous, toss the kimchi into your fajita. It will soften up the tacos and add a spicy kick.
Come Memorial Day weekend, we’ll be cooking up a storm and serving these fajitas to a crowd on our back patio. There’s nothing like a hearty and healthy meal when you’re entertaining and these are the perfect menu item to wow your gluten-free guests.
Gluten-Free Grilled Shrimp Fajitas with Honey Roasted Peanuts
Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free
- 2 pounds large raw shrimp, peeled and cleaned
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 bottle gluten-free beer (such as Daura beer)
- Juice of 1 small lime
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 large gluten-free tortillas
- 1 small head iceberg lettuce, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 3/4 cup dairy-free coconut milk yogurt
- 4 tablespoons salted peanuts
- Heat grill to medium-high heat.
- Rub the shrimp with 1 tablespoon oil, then drizzle with beer and lime juice. Sprinkle the shrimp with chili powder, red pepper, garlic powder, sea salt and pepper. Grill the shrimp for 2 minutes on each side or until they’re opaque. Remove them from the grill; set aside.
- Place the tortillas on the grill for 30 seconds on each side or until warm. Transfer the shrimp and toppings to a large platter and serve with tortillas, lettuce, fresh cilantro, tomatoes, carrots, yogurt and peanuts. Serve warm.
Photo Credit: Amie Valpone