Because fish is plentiful in the salt and fresh waters in and around Jamaica, fish recipes abound. Jamaican fish recipes are influenced by a number of cuisines, including African, Chinese, European and Mexican. Slaves and hired workers brought their influences to the cooking styles of the islands, as exhibited by the wide variety of spices and ingredients used. Cooking whole fish Jamaican-style requires few ingredients and little preparation.
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Grease the baking dish with the oil.
Rub the lemon juice into fish, and allow the fish to sit for 20 minutes.
Combine the chopped onion, thyme, salt, pepper and butter, and rub the mixture onto fish.
Place the fish in greased baking dish, and cover it with the coconut milk.
Sprinkle the fish with bread crumbs, cover it with aluminum foil, and bake it for 15 minutes.
Uncover the dish and bake the fish until bread crumbs are browned and the fish is flaky -- about five more minutes.
How to Cook Tarakihi
How to Cook Sole Fillets With Butter ...
How to Bake Boneless Skinless Tilapia
How to Grill a Cod Fish
How to Cook a Cajun Seasoned Catfish ...
How to Make Fish Taco Sauce
How to Cook Salmon in Pineapple Juice
How to Marinate Pork Chops in Pineapple ...
How to Cook Trevally
How to Cook Silver Fish Filipino Style
How Many Calories Are in Smoked Ham?
How to Cook Tilapia With Orange Juice & ...
Difference Between Peppermint Extract & ...
How to Brine Fish Before Cooking It
Stauer Hybrid Watch Instructions
How to Clean Scuffed Up Rain Boots
How to Cook Rockfish Fillets
How to Freeze Tzatziki
Add Flavor to Foods With This ...
How to Improve Jar Spaghetti Sauce With ...
- While snapper is the most common fish baked whole, you can use almost any type of medium-sized fish in this recipe. Other popular options include turbot and doctorfish.
- Jamaican jerk fish, a traditional spicy-hot dish, can be made by seasoning fish with allspice, Scotch bonnet peppers and thyme. Some recipes include additional spices such as garlic, cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon and black pepper. Jerk fish is typically made using cut-up fish pieces rather than whole fish.
- Other Jamaican recipes for cooking whole fish include deep frying smaller fish, such as sprat, and stuffing larger fish before cooking.
- Many fish have small bones that can get stuck in your throat. Eat fish carefully to avoid choking.
- The USDA recommends cooking fish to an internal temperature of 145 degrees Fahrenheit to prevent food-borne illness.
When not working in her family-owned food and bar business, Viola Horne can almost always be found with a cookbook in one hand and a whisk in the other. Horne never tires of entertaining family and friends with both comfort food and unusual delicacies such as garlic cheese smashed potatoes and banana bacon pancakes.