Classic Cookies That Kids Can Help Make
Who can resist a plate full of cookies that sparkle with sugar? These sugar cookies have only a few basic ingredients and such a straightforward prep process that even young kids can help with tasks like mixing the dry ingredients, rolling the dough into balls and coating with sugar. After all, if they're going to live in your house, they might as well help out in the kitchen, too!
Total Time: 20 minutes | Prep Time: 10 minutes | Serves: 12 (makes 24 cookies)
- 1 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- Heat the oven to 350F. Prepare two baking sheets by coating them with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine 1 cup of the granulated sugar with the butter, egg and vanilla. With an electric mixer, cream the ingredients until the mixture is light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Stop to scrape down the sides of the bowl with a spatula when needed.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the baking soda, salt and flour.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the large bowl. With the electric mixer on low, beat the batter until just combined, with no dry streaks remaining.
- Form the dough into 1-inch balls. Spread the remaining 1/3 cup granulated sugar out on a shallow platter or bowl, and roll each ball in the sugar before placing it on the cookie sheet. Leave at least 2 inches of space between dough balls.
- Bake the cookies for 8 to 10 minutes or until the edges are just beginning to turn golden brown. Let the cookies cool completely before serving or storing in an airtight container.
Easy Homemade Chocolate Chip Cookies ...
How to Make Butter Sugar Cookies
Shortbread Cookie Recipe
How to Stiffen Meringue
How to Get Tub Frosting to Harden
How to Make Hard Crack Candy
No Bake Cookies With Quick Oats Recipe
How to Make Mexican Wedding Cookies
How to Make Homemade Sugar-Free Cookies
How to Make Soft Oatmeal Cookies
Easy Vegan Sugar Cookies with ...
How to Make a White Decorator Icing
How to Make Chocolate Icing for Donuts
How to Make Homemade Biscuits With Water
How to Make Body Scrub With Olive Oil & ...
Making Chocolate From Cocoa Powder
How to Bake Cookies With Bananas ...
How to Clean Insoles of Shoes
How to Make Cake Frosting Into a ...
How to Bake Sugar Free Cheese Cake
Carly Schuna has been freelance writing and editing for more than a decade. In the lifestyle sector, her specialty areas are wellness, food/drink, and entertaining. With hundreds of recipes and nutrition-focused articles in her portfolio, Carly loves helping readers put a healthy spin on classics in the kitchen without sacrificing taste.