Classic Cookies That Kids Can Help Make
Who can resist a plate full of cookies that sparkle with sugar? These sugar cookies have only a few basic ingredients and such a straightforward prep process that even young kids can help with tasks like mixing the dry ingredients, rolling the dough into balls and coating with sugar. After all, if they're going to live in your house, they might as well help out in the kitchen, too!
Total Time: 20 minutes | Prep Time: 10 minutes | Serves: 12 (makes 24 cookies)
- 1 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- Heat the oven to 350F. Prepare two baking sheets by coating them with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine 1 cup of the granulated sugar with the butter, egg and vanilla. With an electric mixer, cream the ingredients until the mixture is light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Stop to scrape down the sides of the bowl with a spatula when needed.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the baking soda, salt and flour.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the large bowl. With the electric mixer on low, beat the batter until just combined, with no dry streaks remaining.
- Form the dough into 1-inch balls. Spread the remaining 1/3 cup granulated sugar out on a shallow platter or bowl, and roll each ball in the sugar before placing it on the cookie sheet. Leave at least 2 inches of space between dough balls.
- Bake the cookies for 8 to 10 minutes or until the edges are just beginning to turn golden brown. Let the cookies cool completely before serving or storing in an airtight container.
Carly Schuna has been freelance writing and editing for more than a decade. She enjoys putting a creative spin on pieces from her specialty areas of wellness, food and fitness, working to help people save money while maximizing their health. In recipe developing, she loves finding ways to put a healthy spin on the classics to boost nutrition for the whole family without sacrificing taste.