A Simple Mexican Soup That Eats Like a Meal
This simple tortilla soup can warm your family’s bodies and souls after a long day of work or school. Rich in protein, fiber and vegetables, it’s hearty and healthy enough to eat as a main course, and it takes only 10 minutes to prep the ingredients.
Make a batch for a last-minute dinner—it takes only 30 minutes in all—or double the recipe and freeze half to store in airtight containers for a later meal. If your kids enjoy helping in the kitchen, allow them to choose the garnishes, from cilantro sprigs and avocado slices to plain or grilled and seasoned tortilla strips plus a dollop of sour cream.
Total Time: 30 minutes | Prep Time: 10 minutes | Serves: 4
- 1 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
- ½ white or yellow onion, diced
- 4 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 (10-ounce) can enchilada sauce
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1 (15.5-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- 1 tablespoon lime juice (about half of a lime)
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- avocado for garnish, if desired
- tortilla strips for garnish, if desired
- sour cream for garnish, if desired
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add the chopped onion, sauteing it for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic, and continue sauteing for another minute or two.
- Carefully add the broth, enchilada sauce, crushed tomatoes, beans, corn, chili powder and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Once the mixture begins to simmer, turn the heat down to low, letting it cook for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the shredded chicken, lime juice and chopped cilantro, then remove the pan from the heat.
- Serve the soup warm and garnished with fresh cilantro sprigs, avocado slices, tortilla strips and a touch of sour cream, as desired.
How to Cook Fresh Turnip Greens
How to Make Tortilla Soup
How to Make Chicken Vegetable Soup
Easy Spinach Artichoke Dip
Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
How to Cook a Broccoli and Rice ...
Easy Black Bean Soup Recipe
How to Cook Trevally
How to Make Mexican Chicken Tortilla ...
How to Fry Precooked Chicken
How to Slow Cook Brown Rice & Chicken
How to Boil Celery
Best Crock-Pot Lasagna Soup Recipe
How Many Calories in Chopped Antipasto ...
Carbohydrates in Zucchini
How to Substitute Potato Starch for ...
How to Slow Cook Pork Chops & Vegetables
How to Cook the Neck of a Deer
How to Substitute Wheat Germ for Flour
How to: Crock-Pot Lima Bean Soup
August McLaughlin is a health and sexuality writer and author of "Girl Boner: The Good Girl's Guide to Sexual Empowerment." Her work appears in Cosmopolitan, The Washington Post, DAME Magazine, LIVESTRONG.com and more. augustmclaughlin.com