Start to Finish:
Tortilla soup makes a satisfying meal in itself when you add chicken as well as beans. Serve a green salad with orange segments and radishes alongside for a cool contrast to both the flavor and temperature of the soup. Fresh-baked cornbread, while not traditional in Mexican cuisine, also works well to round out the meal.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cans diced tomatoes
- 2 cans black or pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups shredded, cooked chicken
- 1 tablespoon pureed chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
- Juice from 2 limes
- 2 avocados, cubed
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 cups toasted corn tortilla strips or slightly smashed tortilla chips
Cook the onion in the oil over medium heat in a soup pot until it softens and turns translucent, about six minutes.
Add the garlic and cook for another 30 seconds.
Add the tomatoes, beans, chicken stock, cumin and salt. Cook these ingredients on a low simmer until the flavors blend, about 15 minutes.
Add the chicken, chipotle chiles and lime juice, and heat the soup until it's steaming hot.
Divide the avocado among the soup bowls and ladle the soup on top. Sprinkle an equal amount of cilantro over each bowl.
Let each diner add a spoonful of sour cream and a handful of tortilla strips to the soup throughout the meal.
Substitutions and Variations
- Instead of using chicken, substitute cooked and crumbled sausage or ground beef.
- Make a vegetarian version of tortilla soup by omitting the chicken and using vegetable stock instead of chicken stock.
- Add cubed or crumbled Mexican cheese such as queso fresco, or any other soft farmer's cheese as a garnish.
Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
How to Make Pho Soup
Easy Black Bean Soup Recipe
How to Make Chicken Vegetable Soup
How Many Calories in Chopped Antipasto ...
Simple French Onion Soup Recipe
How to Make Easy 5 Ingredient Fresh ...
How to Cook Yakamein
How to Slow Cook Brown Rice & Chicken
How to Make Sinigang
Easy Broccoli Cheese Soup Recipe
How to Make Celery Soup
How to Make Crab Bisque
How to Make Chicken Pot Pie With Puff ...
What Can I Substitute for Poppy Seeds ...
How to: Crock-Pot Lima Bean Soup
How to Barbecue Chicken in the Slow ...
How to Cook Arroz Chaufa
How to Make Potato Hamburger Soup
How to Fry Precooked Chicken
Susan Lundman began writing about her love of cooking, ingredient choices, menu planning and healthy eating after working for 20 years on children's issues at a nonprofit organization. She has written about food online professionally for ten years on numerous websites, and has provided family and friends with homemade recipes and stories about culinary adventures. Lundman received her M.A. from Stanford University.