Canned Beans Create an Effortless Soup
Canned beans and packaged ingredients make black bean soup a dinner you can easily whip up at the end of a busy day with only one pot to wash when you're done. Serve the soup alongside tortilla chips and a green salad topped with avocado slices and orange segments for a bright contrast in temperature and texture.
A blender or food processor helps to speed the cooking along, but a potato masher or large spoon also works well for mashing half of the beans, leaving you with an interesting blend of smooth and chunky. The lime juice in this recipe brightens the taste of the soup. Substitute 1 tablespoon of rice vinegar or white vinegar if you don't have limes.
Total Time: 35 minutes | Prep Time: 5 minutes | Serves: 4
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup prepared salsa
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 4 tablespoons sour cream
- 4 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- In a large pot over medium heat, cook the onions in the oil until softened – about 7 minutes. Add the garlic, cumin and salt and cook the mixture for an additional 1 minute.
- Add the beans, salsa and chicken stock. Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat to simmer and cook the soup on low heat until the flavors have a chance to blend – about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Using a ladle or cup, transfer 1/2 of the bean mixture to a blender and pulse it briefly to puree the beans. Add the pureed beans back into the cooking pot and reheat the mixture for 7 to 8 minutes until it is heated through.
- Remove the pot from the heat and stir in the lime juice. Serve the soup with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkling of cilantro.
How to Make Tortilla Soup
Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
Easy Taco Soup Recipe
How to Cook Dry Garbanzos in a Crock Pot
How to Cook Balatong
How to Make Shrimp Cocktail
How to Cook Yakamein
How to: Crock-Pot Lima Bean Soup
How to Cut the Acidity of Vegetable Soup
How to Cook Dried Chickpeas Without a ...
How to Make Crab Bisque
Recipe for How to Make Glycerin Soap ...
How to Cook Ginataang Shrimp With ...
How to Make Creamy Potato Soup
How to Freeze Edamame Soybeans
How to Substitute Potato Starch for ...
Bulgur Wheat Calories
How to Blanch Kale for Freezing
How to Make a Fruit Reduction
Calories in Sweet Potato Soup
Susan Lundman began writing about her love of cooking, ingredient choices, menu planning and healthy eating after working for 20 years on children's issues at a nonprofit organization. She has written about food online professionally for ten years on numerous websites, and has provided family and friends with homemade recipes and stories about culinary adventures. Lundman received her M.A. from Stanford University.