Sun spots or solar lentigines, develop due to the effect sunlight has on the skin. According to the Mayo Clinic, ultraviolet rays trigger the overproduction of melanin, the pigment that determines skin color. This reaction darkens the skin, resulting in a tan. Over time, the excess pigment may clump together, gradually forming dark spots on the skin.
One way to combat sun spots is through the use of over-the-counter lightening products, such as those found in Oil of Olay’s Definity skin care line. Definity treatments include daily restoring lotions for the face, neck and chest, an eye treatment and a night cream. According to the website The Beauty Brains, Olay’s products fade sun spots with the ingredient N-acetyl glucosamine, a chemical that helps prevent the overproduction of melanin.
Wet your hands and face, then apply the pore redefining scrub using a gentle, circular motion. According to Olay, the cleanser will wash away makeup and other residue to minimize the appearance of your pores.
Dry your face before smoothing a liberal pump of the color recapture lotion over your skin. Apply as much as necessary, but make sure to blend thoroughly for sheer coverage. The ingredient glucosamine inhibits glycosylation of pro-tyrosinase, according to The Beauty Brains. This is the chemical reaction that creates melanin deposits in the skin, such as age spots. The color recapture lotion also contains SPF 15, which helps prevent existing sun spots from tanning further.
Use the tip of your finger to lightly dot the illuminator around your entire eye area. Rub the product in gently to avoid damaging delicate tissue. The illuminator specifically lightens darkness and discolored spots around the eyes for a more "luminous appearance," says Olay.
Cleanse your face using the pore redefining scrub.
Apply the sleep cream to your face, neck and other areas of sun-damaged skin. Olay claims that the night cream penetrates the skin’s surface 10 layers deep to deliver moisture and glucosamine to the skin while you sleep. Glucosamine's ability to stop melanin production prevents new spots from forming and old spots from darkening. Without new pigment, age spots gradually fade to match the surrounding skin.
Apply the eye illuminator.
- Olay's color recapture treatment is available in three shades to match all skin tones, including fair to light; light to medium; and medium to deep.
- Olay Definity also offers a restoration treatment for the neck and chest. The product goes on clear and can be applied daily to reduce the appearance of sun spots.
- According to the website PG Dermatology, glucosamine use may produce results in as little as four to eight weeks. However, the Mayo Clinic warns that it can take several months for over-the-counter sun spot treatments to work, and The Beauty Brains concedes that while glucosamine is "proven to lighten skin," it is not guaranteed to work for everyone.
- PG Dermatology states that in clinical studies, N-acetyl glucosamine was "very mild and non-irritating." As with any skin care product, however, monitor your skin's reactions to the Definity treatments. If you experience irritation, stop using the product.
- Jupiterimages/Goodshoot/Getty Images