A Satisfying Fruit Dessert With Minimal Added Sugar
Make an easy fruit cobbler in the middle of the summer, at peak peach season, or use frozen fruit any time of year. This recipe details making the biscuit from scratch, but it's fine to substitute a biscuit mix. You can save even more time by not peeling the peaches, unless you strongly prefer them peeled. If you don't have time to make the whole recipe at once or if your peaches are ripening rapidly, you can prepare the fruit layer ahead of time and keep it in the refrigerator or freezer until you're ready to use it. It'll keep for a week refrigerated and a few months frozen.
Total time: 1 hour 15 minutes| Prep time: 30 minutes| Servings: 8
- 6 ripe peaches, diced and pits removed and peeled if you prefer
- 1/4 cup apple juice
- 3 tablespoons rice flour, or more if needed
- 3 cups unbleached white flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter (preferably unsalted)
- 1 cup water
- Heat the oven to 375F.
- In a medium saucepan, gently heat the peaches in the apple juice, stirring often. Cook on medium-low heat for about 5 minutes, until the peaches start to break down. Sprinkle in the rice flour, stirring until the mixture thickens. Use additional rice flour if needed.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the white flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add the butter, and break it into smaller chunks with a knife or pastry cutter. Mix until the butter is incorporated. Then add the water and continue mixing to form a smooth batter.
- Spread the fruit mixture in the bottom of an 8-inch square pan. Spoon the batter on top in dollops. Don't worry if there are some uncovered spaces.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until the top layer starts to brown.
Easy Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
How to Cook Strawberries
How to Freeze Raspberries
How to Cook a Fruit Cobbler in the ...
Easy Strawberry Cake Recipe
How to Prepare Peaches to Make Peach Pie
How to Boil Blackberries & Sugar for a ...
How Long Is it Safe to Keep Frozen ...
How to Bake a Moist Jamaican Fruit Cake
Desserts That Can Be Made With Puff ...
How to Freeze Papaya
What Can You Do With Fresh Persimmons?
How to Peel Guava
Calories in Banana Pancakes
How to Wash Blackberries
Baking Cakes With Frozen Fruit
How Can I Preserve Peaches Without ...
How to Freeze a Fruitcake
How to Macerate Fruit
How Long Does Watermelon Stay Fresh ...
Devra Gartenstein is a self-taught professional cook who has authored two cookbooks: "The Accidental Vegan", and "Local Bounty: Seasonal Vegan Recipes". She founded Patty Pan Cooperative, Seattle's oldest farmers market concession, and teaches regular cooking classes.