The rigors of walking continuously throughout the day or standing for extended periods of time can wear on your feet. When you want to relax at the end of the day, tired, painful feet can be an unwelcome distraction. Give your feet some tender loving care by soaking them in a mixture of water and sea salt. Add extra ingredients if you want to make it more like a spa experience.
Items you will need
- Large basin or two large containers
- Hot water
- 1 to 2 tablespoons sea salt
- Large spoon
- 5 drops various essential oils
Fill a large basin or two large containers, one for each foot, with enough hot water to reach up to your ankles once you place your feet inside.
Pour 1 to 2 tablespoons of sea salt into the water. If you're using two containers, divide the desired quantity of sea salt equally, such as 1 tablespoon in each container. Stir the salt with a large spoon to help it dissolve.
Add up to 5 drops of essential oils, such as rosemary or peppermint, to the basin or containers once the hot water cools enough to place your feet in. Divide the amount of drops if you are using two separate containers. Stir the water gently with a spoon.
Soak your feet in the water until it becomes cool and is no longer comfortable, approximately 15 to 30 minutes. Pat feet dry with a towel.
Massage your feet with a rich hydrating lotion and put on socks after soaking for some extra tender loving care. You can also soak your feet in the plain sea salt and water mixture, without any essential oils.
Test the hot water with your fingertip first before dipping your feet in. If it's too hot, let it cool a bit longer.
- "Return to Beauty: Old-World Recipes for Great Radiant Skin"; Narine Nikogosian, Justin Lee Wheeler; 2009
- "It's So Natural Health Book"; Alan Hayes; 2000
- "The Ladies' Beauty Book and the Old Home Doctor - Containing Over 1300 Toilet Receipts and Hints to Improve One's Personal Appearance"; William H Keppel; 2009
- Jupiterimages/Goodshoot/Getty Images