How to Get a Copy of a Birth Certificate From Germany

by Contributor

At some time or another, an agency will ask for your birth certificate to show identification. It's easy enough in the U.S. to contact the capitol of the state in which you were born and order one. However, if you were born in another country, such as Germany, you will encounter a few obstacles.

Get in touch with the U.S. Department of State, Passport Services, to let them know your needs. They can issue a replacement Consular Report of Birth to U.S. citizens born overseas when one or both parents were in the armed forces.

Ask for a Certification of Report of Birth (DS-1350). Send copies of your social security and driver's license in order to give some form of identification. Notarize your request prior to sending. The Department of State will only issue the Certification of Report of Birth to the child or his parents.

Contact the German embassy for their help, if you were unable to get the birth certificate from the State Department.

Make sure you request the right type of birth certificate. Explain to the embassy whether you were born to parents who were in Germany as a civilian or military family.

Send the fee charged by either of these agencies to the address they give you. This is necessary before your birth certificate processes. Give them your address and wait the obligatory six to eight weeks to get the birth certificate back.


  • The Vital Records Section is at the U.S. Department of State, 1111 19th Street NW, Suite 510, Washington, DC 20522-1705.