How do I Get a New Birth Certificate from American Samoa?

by Etch Tabor
American Samoa is a U.S. territory in the Pacific Ocean.

American Samoa is a U.S. territory in the Pacific Ocean.

American Samoa is a U.S. territory located in the Pacific Ocean. Those born in American Samoa will have birth records that reflect the island as their place of birth. According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control, requests for new copies of birth records from American Samoa can be conducted through the American Samoa government.

Ensure you meet the eligibility requirements to request a copy of your birth record. You must be at least 18 years old to make a request yourself. If you are not 18, your parents or legal guardian must make the request.

Contact the American Samoa government and request to speak with the Office of Vital Statistics.

Put in a request for a copy of your birth certificate. You will need to provide your full name, date of birth, place of birth, mother's maiden name and father's name.

Make a copy of your government-issued picture identification card. Submit that to the Office of Vital Statistics along with a money order. Payment for a record request is $5 per copy. Money orders should be made out to the "ASG Treasurer."

About the Author

For three years, Etch Tabor worked as the technology and online editor at "InsideCounsel" magazine, a national publication for in-house counsel. He currently is a full-time freelance writer, specializing in legal, technology and comedy writing. He graduated in 2004 from the University of Missouri-Columbia with a degree in journalism.

Photo Credits

  • drapeau d'american samoa image by Charly from