Environmental factors, sun exposure and even some medications can wreak havoc on skin. Uneven skintones make the skin appear unhealthy and aged. Although cosmetic procedures can correct this problem, you need to look no further than your kitchen to help yourself out. Cosmetic procedures often involve harsh chemical peels and aren't suitable for everyone. Learn how to clear up uneven skintones naturally and affordably with simple home treatments.
Wash skin with a gentle cleanser and lightly pat dry. Thinly slice a raw potato and apply to the face or wherever toning is needed. Leave potato slices on the skin for 10 to 15 minutes to allow the potato's catecholase, a natural skin lightener, to penetrate. Wipe or rinse off potato starch and follow with your regular moisturizer. For best results use daily.
Slice a lemon into two halves and squeeze juice into a small bowl. Cleanse area to be toned. Dip a cotton ball into the lemon juice and apply to desired areas. Let lemon juice sit on the skin for at least an hour or until it becomes uncomfortable. Rinse the skin with warm water and follow with a moisturizer. Alternatively, rub cut lemon halves onto skin instead of juicing.
Take cotton balls and apply a thick layer of yogurt (any type or fat content) over area to be toned. Leave yogurt on skin until dry, at least 30 minutes; you will feel the skin tighten. Rinse yogurt and lightly pat skin dry. Depending upon the fat content of the yogurt, moisturizing may not be needed.
Apply honey directly to freshly-washed skin. Leave honey on the skin as long as desired, allowing the enzymes to work. Rinse skin and continue with normal skincare routine. Adding honey to skin-lightening treatments boosts their effects.
- Health India: Get Rid of Dark Skin Patches with Home Remedies Like Milk and Lemon
- Style Craze: 5 Potato Face Pack Tutorials with Pictures and Detailed Steps
- Daily Glow: Gentle Skin Whitening with Yogurt
- National Honey Board: Honey-Lime Facial Treatment
- Natural Healthy Concepts: Can Lemon Juice Really Help Lighten Your Skin?
- Lemon juice may be added to any of the above treatments to elevate toning properties.
- Thicker yogurts drip less and are more suitable for masks.
- If you have eczema or otherwise irritated skin, avoid these treatments until skin is clear as further irritation can occur.
- Always apply sunblock daily; lightened skin may be sensitive to UV rays.
- Thinkstock/Stockbyte/Getty Images