Quick and Savory Appetizer Bites
These sausage cheese balls solve the brunch-time potluck quandary of what food to bring for sharing. They cook up quickly, so you’re not wasting your precious weekend time, and they can please a crowd. You may even have the ingredients in your pantry and fridge, which saves you a trip to the supermarket. Bisquick is the secret ingredient that holds the balls together and gives them an irresistible texture. Decidedly unfussy, but super-delicious—kids, adults and grandparents will swoon over this appetizer.
Total Time: 25 minutes | Prep Time: 5 minutes | Serves: 20 (3 balls per serving)
- 1 pound ground sausage, casings removed
- 3 cups Bisquick
- 4 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan
- 1/4 cup milk
- Dash of black pepper
- Heat the oven to 375F. Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper for easy cleanup, or spray it with vegetable oil.
- In a large glass bowl, combine the sausage, Bisquick and cheese. Using your hands is the easiest way to blend this mixture. Use a spatula to stir in the milk and black pepper.
- Squeeze off an inch or so of the mixture and roll it into a ball between the palms of your hands. Repeat. Place the balls on the baking sheet, and pop them in the oven.
- Bake for about 18 minutes, or until lightly browned and sizzling. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Andrea Boldt is a nutritionist and personal trainer who writes for multiple publications. A graduate of Princeton and Columbia Universities and of the Culinary Institute of America, she enjoys spending time with her two kids and 18 pets.