A Simple Meatball Recipe for Your Little One
Feeding your baby new foods can be either a wonderful or a disastrous experience. You never know if he's going to love it or hate it. Meats usually fall into the "no thank you, mom" category. But fun and mildly flavored turkey meatballs may be a hit. This recipe has only a few ingredients and takes less than 30 minutes to prepare, making it a simple protein you can quickly whip up for your baby after you've come home from work. It's also a good make-ahead protein you can store in the refrigerator or freezer for a quick lunch or dinner.
Total Time: 25 minutes | Prep Time: 10 minutes | Serves: 4
- 1/4 pound ground turkey
- 3 tablespoons baby rice or oat cereal
- 3 tablespoons pureed sweet potato
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- In a medium bowl, combine turkey, cereal, sweet potato and garlic powder.
- Form meat into 1-inch balls and place on a baking sheet. This should make about 24 meatballs.
- Bake in a 350 F oven for 15 minutes or until meat is cooked through, turning once while cooking.
Chop your meatballs into bite-size pieces before serving to your baby. Serve plain with chopped baked potato and cooked carrots. These meatballs are good finger foods, but also may help your toddler practice with a spoon or a fork.
Jill Corleone is a registered dietitian and health coach who has been writing and sharing her love of food, nutrition and health with anyone who'll listen for almost 20 years. Her work has been featured on the Huffington Post and Diabetes Self-Management.