A Tomato Soup Recipe Worthy of a Michelin Star
Never underestimate the utility of canned plum tomatoes. Top chefs typically prefer canned plum tomatoes over fresh in soups and sauces, mainly for their superior flavor and consistency; you'll get a smoother soup every time. Taste aside, canned tomatoes save time, a valuable commodity for which busy moms strive, and contain more lycopene, a phytochemical that may help prevent certain types of cancer, according to the FDA. Nutritious, delicious and expeditious – add canned tomato soup to your recipe repertoire today!
Total Time: 40 minutes | Prep Time: 10 minutes | Serves: 4 to 6
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 carrot, roughly chopped
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 1 or 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped (optional)
- 5 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (28 ounce) can plum tomatoes
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves, loosely packed
- 1 or 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- Olive oil (optional)
- Heat the butter in a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the carrots and onion to the saucepan.
- Lightly saute the carrots and onion until lightly colored, about 7 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the stock to the saucepan and season it to taste with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Add the tomatoes to the saucepan and crush them with a fork.
- Bring the soup to a boil, and then reduce it to a simmer. Simmer the soup until slightly thickened, about 20 to 30 minutes. Chop the basil while the soup simmers.
- Take the saucepan off the stove. Puree the soup using an immersion blender or a food processor.
- Stir in the basil and just enough heavy cream to temper the acidity and lighten the color. Garnish each bowl with a swirl of olive oil, if desired.
Cooking Tips for Getting Rid of the ...
Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipe
Easy Taco Soup Recipe
How to Refresh Dried Fruits: Raisins
How to Store and Freeze Sundried ...
How to Crush Basil
Simple French Onion Soup Recipe
How to Make Delicious, Homemade ...
How to Make Celery Soup
How to Make Fish Taco Sauce
How to Make Crab Bisque
How to Make Fresh Strawberry Frosting ...
How to: Crock-Pot Lima Bean Soup
How to Blanch, Peel, & Freeze Whole ...
How Long Can You Refrigerate Nacho ...
Easy Broccoli Cheese Soup Recipe
How to Make Pico de Gallo
How to Improve Jar Spaghetti Sauce With ...
How to Make Chicken Vegetable Soup
Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
A.J. Andrews' work has appeared in Food and Wine, Fricote and "BBC Good Food." He lives in Europe where he bakes with wild yeast, milks goats for cheese and prepares for the Court of Master Sommeliers level II exam. Andrews received formal training at Le Cordon Bleu.