A Nutty Cake Topping
When you've got a peanut butter-loving kid or spouse, you'll score major points by topping a cake or cupcakes with peanut butter frosting. Of course, you can buy a tub of pre-made frosting in this flavor, but it's worth the couple extra minutes to whip up this homemade version – even on a busy school night. Homemade means better flavor and fewer chemicals.
As a busy mom, save time by making the cake using a mix. Chocolate and white cake flavors work best with this frosting.
Total Time: 10 minutes | Prep Time: 5 minutes | Serves: 8 to 12
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 3 to 4 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a medium glass or metal mixing bowl, combine the butter and peanut butter. Use a hand mixer to beat them together until creamy.
- Add 1 cup of the powdered sugar, 3 tablespoons of milk and the vanilla, and beat until smooth.
- Add the remaining powdered sugar, 1/2 cup at a time, blending after each addition. If you desire a smoother, thinner frosting, add the last tablespoon of milk.
- Frost your cooled cake or cupcakes right away.
Andrea Boldt is a nutritionist and personal trainer who writes for multiple publications. A graduate of Princeton and Columbia Universities and of the Culinary Institute of America, she enjoys spending time with her two kids and 18 pets.