Skin brightening is a viable option for those who want fairer, more even skin. Although chemical treatments are available, gentler home remedies exist and are safe and effective to try. Potatoes may be stored in the pantry for mealtime, but they can also be used to lighten and even skin tone. Add potatoes to your skin care routine and be sure to follow up with exfoliation. Exfoliation helps remove dead skin buildup that can cause patches and uneven tones.
Rinse a potato under cool water to soften and remove dirt. Peel the potato carefully with a vegetable peeler.
Pick out any potato eyes with the peeler's pointed end. Rinse the potato once more with cool water.
Grate the potato with a fine grater edge into thin strips. Place the strips into a clean bowl and mash them up thoroughly with a potato masher or fork.
Clean your face with face wash and pat the skin dry. Apply the mash to your face, being careful to not get any in your eyes. Tilt your head back or lie down, leaving the mixture on your face for 20 minutes.
Rinse thoroughly with lukewarm water and pat skin dry. Repeat daily or every other day as this method is gentle on skin.
- Cube the potato and use a food processor for a creamy paste.
- Create an extra cooling effect by keeping the potato in the refrigerator for a few hours. Not only will it feel relaxing, but it will help tighten pores even more.
- Add lemon juice, another natural lightener, to potatoes to further boost effect. Be wary of any cuts or blemishes on your face and your eyes because lemon juice can sting.
- If you have puffy eyes in the morning, cut a few slices of raw potato and place over your eyes. They’ll help reduce and brighten the skin around eyes in a pinch.
- If redness or irritation occur, discontinue use of the potato mask.
Amy Davidson is a graduate from the University of Florida in Gainesville, with a bachelor's degree in journalism. She also writes for local papers around Gainesville doing articles on local events and news.