Slow-cooking a pork roast in cola makes a tantalizingly tender main dish that needs minimal preparation. As an added bonus, once you get the pork started, you can go about your other tasks while your roast slowly cooks to perfection. To get started, you need a slow cooker, pork roast and a can or bottle of cola. Beyond those items, you can use your own imagination and creativity to "doctor" your roast recipe and make it your own.
Trim any excess fat from your pork roast. You can use almost any type of roast, including pork shoulder, pork loin, Boston butt roast or even pork tenderloin.
Plug in your slow cooker and put the pork roast in the center of the slow cooker. Add any extra ingredients, such as onions, potatoes or carrots, if you are using them. Sprinkle the roast with salt and black pepper. Add additional seasonings such as herbs or spices if you wish.
Pour the cola over the pork. Create more complex flavors by combining the soda with other savory ingredients such as apple cider vinegar or your favorite barbecue sauce if desired.
Put the cover on your slow cooker, turn it to its low setting and let the pork roast cook for 6 to 10 hours, or until its internal temperature reaches at least 145 degrees Fahrenheit. If you've added carrots or potatoes, continue cooking until they are tender.
Take your roast out of the slow cooker, transferring it to your carving board. Let it rest for about 10 minutes before slicing and serving. Alternatively, pull the pork by shredding it with tongs or forks.
Roasting Instructions for a Half Loin ...
How to Reheat Leftover Pork Chops ...
How to Bake a Smithfield Spiral Ham
How to Store Apples
How to Cook Corned Silverside in a Slow ...
How to Cook Pork in a Skillet
How to Cook Pre-Seasoned Porketta
How to Make a Juicy Pork Tenderloin
How to Roast Italian Sausage
How to Roast Turnips
How to Roast a Pork Blade Cut
How to Use a Roaster for Pork
How to Make Toasted Bread Sticks With ...
How to Roast an Eye Round Roast at High ...
How to Bake a Pork Loin Center Half
Can You Bake Sliders?
How to Grill Lamb Loin Chops Medium Rare
How to Cook a Choice New York Roast
How to Cook Smoked Pork Knuckles
How to Cook a Deer Neck Roast in a Slow ...
- The Big Book of Slow Cooker Recipes; Rachel Rappaport
- Slow Cooker Magic; Linda Rehberg and Lois Conway
- Deep Dish South: Slow Cooker Pulled Pork
- Miss in the Kitchen: Coca-Cola Braised Pork Loin -- Slow Cooker Recipe
- National Pork Board: Great News for Pork Lovers: The Puck Stops Here!
- Make a gravy from the cooking liquids left in the slow cooker after you take the roast out of it by pouring the cooled liquid into a skillet or saucepan. Skim off any fat with a large spoon and turn the stove on to medium-high to boil the mixture. While you're waiting for it to boil, whisk water and flour together in a separate bowl, adding it to the boiling liquid and whisking to prevent lumps. Let the mixture simmer until thickened.
- Transform your leftovers by pulling the leftover pork, tossing it with barbecue sauce, and serving it as-is or on a roll.
- Avoid cross-contamination by thoroughly washing your hands and any other surfaces that come into contact with raw pork.
Caryn Anderson combines extensive behind-the-scenes writing experience with her passion for all things food, fashion, garden and travel. Bitten by the travel bug at the age of 15 after a trip to Europe, Anderson fostered her love of style and fashion while living in New York City and earning her degree at New York University.