How to Get Married in Another Country

by Contributor ; Updated September 28, 2017

How to Get Married in Another Country. A popular trend today among engaged couples is getting married abroad. You can exchange vows in a romantic setting and explore new ground together.

Decide what country you want to be married in.

Contact the U.S. embassy or consulate of that country to find out about marriage requirements.

Remember to bring your passports and birth certificates with you when you travel.

Be prepared to have your documents translated into that country's native language if so required prior to applying for your license.

Plan ahead, since some countries require a minimum residency of anywhere from one to seven days before you quality for a license there.

Understand that you may need to file an affidavit of your eligibility to marry with the U.S. embassy located in that country. If either of you has been married before, bring any divorce or death certificates with you to prove that your prior marriage has ended.

Find out in advance if the country requires blood tests.

Do a search online for wedding vendors in the selected country to help you arrange any special details, such as flowers or a photographer, in advance.

Ask your hotel for recommendations of local vendors, and see if they can help you make the arrangements.


  • Ask the country's embassy or consulate how much money to expect to pay in fees. It varies widely. Consider contracting with a tour group or travel agency and having them set up all the arrangements for you. This can help save you time and head off potential problems. Purchase your wedding outfits and rings in the United States and bring them with you so you won't have to worry about shopping when you arrive at your destination.

About the Author

This article was written by a professional writer, copy edited and fact checked through a multi-point auditing system, in efforts to ensure our readers only receive the best information. To submit your questions or ideas, or to simply learn more, see our about us page: link below.