Fashion Design Schools in Mexico

Image by, courtesy of Ivan Rumata Cabrera Escalante

Mexico is known for its beautiful beaches, rich culture and storied history. Fashion, however, is one of the last things that comes to mind when one thinks of Mexico. Slowly but surely, though, the country is finding its voice in the fashion world, carving out a niche for its designers to express their colorful and whimsical works. There are three main fashion design schools that immerse you in the culture of this amazing country while teaching you the techniques needed to express your fashion point of view.

Janette Klein Universidad

Located in Mexico City, this fashion design school offers a 2-year associates program. Popular U.S. based, Los Angeles design school FIDM (Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising) offers a study abroad program here. Some famous Janette Klein alumni include: Hector Terrones, Sarah Bustani, Desiree Navarro, Pilar Roa and Edgardo Luengas.

Janette Klein Universidad Artemio del Valle Arizpe Col. del Valle, Del. Benito Juarez, Mexico, D. F. (52) 55 5523 5314 (800) 821-0555 [email protected]

Instituto Modstil

Founded in 1990, Modstil was one of the first fashion schools in the country to offer a Bachelors degree in Fashion Design. Located in the city of Morelia in Michoacan State, the school is part of the Modstil Group, which includes a modeling agency and fashion consulting firm.

Instituto Modstil Periferico Paseo de la Republica # 571 A Col. Felix Ireta C.P. 58070 Morelia, Michoacan, México +52 443 314 6968

CEDIM (Centro de Estudios Superiores de Diseño de Monterrey)

CEDIM is considered the top design school in Mexico. Located in Monterrey in the state of Nuevo Leon, the city is quickly becoming known as the country's epicenter for innovative design. The school offers degrees in: architecture, animation, digital art, industrial merchandising, interior design, fashion design and graphic design.

CEDIM (Centro de Estudios Superiores de Diseño de Monterrey) Antiguo Camino a la Huasteca No.360 Col. Mirador de la Huasteca Santa Catarina Nuevo León, México, C.P.66354, T. +52 (81) 8262.2200

Student Visa

As long as you have the correct identification and forms or visas, entering into Mexico from the United States is a simple process.

Depending on your length of stay, you will need one of the following to study abroad:

Tourist Card If you plan on studying in Mexico for less than 6 months you can enter the country with a Tourist Card. Tourist Cards will be distributed on your plane before landing. Make sure your form is stamped and signed by immigration officials at the airport. Otherwise, you could face a fine when leaving the country. The Tourist Card must be surrendered when you leave the country, so be sure to keep it in a safe spot.

Student Visa If you are planning on studying in Mexico for more than 6 months you will need to apply for a long-term, non-immigrant visa known in Mexico as the FM3. This visa gives you temporary residency status. You are not allowed to work under a FM3 visa.

Getting back into the United States As of June 1, 2009, you will be required to present a passport, passport card or other valid travel documents in order to re-enter the United States, regardless of whether or not the foreign country visited required one to gain entry.


There are many factors to take into consideration when you are going to study abroad. Here are a few to keep in mind:

Language If you are going to attend school in Mexico you will need to speak Spanish well enough to keep up with the lessons and get around in the city.

Work You will not be allowed to work and earn money under a Tourist Card or Student Visa (FM3).

Insurance If you currently have health insurance, check with them to see if you can add a policy that will cover you while abroad. If you do not have health insurance it is recommended that you purchase a short-term policy for the length of time you will be gone. As a student you are not eligible to receive services under Mexico's social health care system.

Taxes If you earned money during the tax year prior to your departure you will need to make arrangements to have your taxes filed and paid for (if necessary) that year. If you plan on being absent from the country for more than 1 year it is suggested that you obtain an accountant to oversee and file the necessary paperwork for you while you are gone.