The Canadian province of Manitoba has a culinary favorite nicknamed the Manitoba pickerel, otherwise known as the walleye, or Sander vitreus. It's a predator fish common throughout Canada and northern United States. Manitoba’s Northern Aqua Farms proudly claims it to be the best tasting of all freshwater fish. When cooked, it yields white, flaky and mildly flavored flesh that’s also low in fat. Manitoba pickerel is typically sold in markets whole, freshly filleted or frozen, but it’s best cooked soon after it's caught. Keep it low-fat by just baking the fish, or fry it Canadian style in beer batter.
Whisk the eggs well in a bowl. Pour in beer, and add the salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
Combine the flour and one or two pinches of salt in a separate bowl. Set aside.
Dip the Manitoba pickerel fillets into the egg-beer mixture first. Roll them in the flour next, then roll them in the egg-beer mixture again.
Heat the vegetable oil in a frying pan until it is hot but not smoking.
Place the coated fish fillets into the pan, and fry them over medium heat, turning once with a spatula, until they turn light brown and flake easily with a fork. Remove them from the pan.
Preheat your oven to about 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
Line a baking pan with aluminum foil. Put in half of the chopped white onion, mushrooms and green bell peppers.
Lay the fillets on top of half of the chopped vegetables. Smear the virgin olive oil evenly on the fillets, then sprinkle on salt, pepper and lemon juice, to your taste.
Drop the rest of the onion, mushrooms and green bell peppers on top of the fillets. Sprinkle more salt, pepper and lemon juice on the fish, to your taste.
Cover the dish with aluminum foil. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until the fish flakes easily with a fork. Serve immediately.
How to Cook Cobia
How to Cook Hog Fish
How to Grill a Cod Fish
How to Fry Mullet
How to Bake Boneless Skinless Tilapia
How to Cook Panfish in the Oven
How to Pan Fry Sea Bass
How to Cook Six-Ounce Swai Fillets
How to Cook Frozen, Boneless & Skinless ...
How to Cook a Turbot Fillet
How to Cook Fish With Flour
How to Cook Atlantic Cod Fillets
Cooking Frozen Swai Fillets
How to Cook Seasoned Keta Salmon
How to Cook Fish Whiting Fillets
How to Cook White Perch
How to Cook Swai With Breading
How to Cook Salmon in Pineapple Juice
How Long Do You Cook Haddock Fillets in ...
How to Cook Sole Fillets With Butter ...
- To find out if the vegetable oil is hot enough to fry fillet, place a few tiny bits of the egg-beer mixture, flour or fish into the oil. If these begin to cook or bubble, the oil is ready.
- Dip the cooked fillets in lemon juice and tartar sauce as you eat, according to your taste.
- Among French-speaking Canadians, the Manitoba pickerel or walleye is also called doré.
- Aside from the traditional Manitoban beer-batter frying or baking, you can also cook this fish by poaching. If you’re a real fish lover, cook Manitoban pickerel whole.
- Manitoba pickerel can also be adapted to any dish that calls for delicately flavored white fish fillets.Try it in Italian or Asian recipes.
- Some fish baking recipes recommend using an oven temperature of 450 F. At this temperature, baking time is decreased to 6 or 8 minutes.
Tom Brakefield/Stockbyte/Getty Images