Acne is a common skin condition affecting both males and females and can occur at any age. Washing your face daily with a gentle cleanser can help clear up existing acne and prevent new blemishes from forming, explains MayoClinic.com. Many over-the-counter acne facial washes contain chemicals and exfoliants that can irritate the skin and make acne worse. If you have particularly sensitive skin or just wish to use a natural face wash, consider making your own cleanser at home.
Pour 1/2 cup uncooked oatmeal into a clean bowl.
Add 2 tbsp. plain yogurt to the bowl. Mix the yogurt into the oatmeal so that it forms a paste.
Apply the mixture to your face and allow it to sit for 10 minutes before rinsing. Oatmeal can help soothe irritated skin, according to Lydia Sarfati, founder of Repechage skin care.
Mix 1 tbsp. apple juice and 2 tbsp. skim milk in a clean bowl.
Add 1 tsp. honey, folding it in to the juice and milk.
Apply the cleanser to your damp face, rubbing it in gently with your fingertips for about one minute before rinsing. The honey in the facial wash will help moisturize your skin, explains Good Housekeeping.
Strawberry Yogurt Cleanser
Spoon 2 tbsp. strawberry yogurt into a bowl.
Mix in 2 tbsp. plain yogurt until the mixture is thoroughly blended.
Rub the cleanser into your skin gently for one to two minutes to help calm oily skin and fight acne, recommends Homemade Beauty Recipes.
- Wash your face only once or twice per day to prevent irritating your skin, which can make acne worse.
- Pat your face dry gently with a clean towel after cleansing.
- Do not use food products to which you are allergic on your skin.
- Discontinue using any cleanser that causes excessive drying of your skin, a rash or any other unpleasant side effects.
- Avesun/iStock/Getty Images