Pores are vital to your skin’s health because they secrete oil called sebum to keep skin hydrated and soft. These pores can become large and prominent if they become infected with bacteria or clogged with too much sebum. There are numerous over-the-counter medications that can shrink skin pores. Proactiv, which is a three-step system created by dermatologists Katie Rodan and Kathy Fields, claims it clears out plugged skin pores and prevents acne breakouts. Using the Proactiv acne treatment system properly can help reduce the size of your skin pores.
Rinse your face with warm water and the Proactiv Renewing Cleanser. Gently massage the cleanser into your skin in a circular motion for three to five minutes. Avoid using a facial sponge or loofah to avoid skin reddening and irritation. Pat your face dry with a clean towel afterward.
Apply the Proactiv Revitalizing Toner to your face and neck using a clean piece of cotton or soft cloth.
Apply a nickel-sized amount of the Proactiv Repairing Lotion to your face and neck and leave it on overnight.
- "Unblemished: Stop Breakouts! Fight Acne! Transform Your Life! Reclaim Your Self-Esteem with the Proven 3-Step Program Using Over-the-Counter Medications;" Katie M.D. Rodan, Kathy M.D. Fields, and Vanessa Williams; 2004
- "The Skin Type Solution;" Leslie Baumann, M.D.; 2006
- Proactiv Acne Treatment
- You can purchase the Proactiv Acne Treatment System online at the Proactive main website.
- The Proactiv system sometimes comes with the Proactiv Refining Mask. Use this a few times a week after applying the cleaner, toner and treatment lotion. Apply a nickel-sized amount of the Proactiv Refining Mask to your fingers and massage into your facial skin for about 10 minutes or as directed. This mask will help clean your pores and help lighten blemishes. Use your fingers to gently massage your forehead, cheeks, and work your way around the sides of your nose and down your chin and neck.
- utkamandarinka/iStock/Getty Images