Reactions to Nose Piercings

Nostril piercings can add beauty to a face when done in a professional environment. The commitment of keeping the piercing clean and bacteria free is a factor to consider before deciding to have this procedure done, because lack of care can result in a piercing that is problematic.

Time Frame

Nostril piercings will encounter irritation, infection and allergic reactions most commonly during the healing period of six months to a year, but these conditions can still arise during the life of the piercing.


Irritation is a normal reaction for most nostril piercings while healing, and almost every piercee will experience it during the healing period. Redness, localized swelling and itchiness are all symptoms of irritation.

Allergic Reaction

Allergic reactions are less common with nostril piercings. These reactions will occur if the piercee is allergic to one of the metals making up the jewelry, such as nickel, or it may occur from contact with latex gloves during the procedure.


An infection in a nostril piercing can occur from a piercee touching the piercing with unwashed hands or the piercing coming into contact with someone else's hands or bodily fluids.

A staph infection is possible if staph was already present on the body when the piercing was performed, or if the piercee allowed nonsterile instruments to be used by an unprofessional or when attempting to perform the piercing themselves.


Irritation, infection, and allergic reactions can be prevented by having this procedure done by a licensed, professional body piercer. Following the aftercare guidelines and written instructions given after the procedure will greatly reduce the risk of infection and irritation.


Never attempt this procedure on yourself or on friends and family. Never use a piercing gun on this part of the body. Only have this procedure performed by a professional body modification artist who is using sterile needles, sterile instruments and high-grade jewelry.