That new eyebrow ring won’t look so cool if the skin around it is red and infected. Proper cleaning is critical for newly pierced brows -- or any body part, for that matter -- and there’s a right and a wrong way to do it. Piercing professionals give specific instructions for cleaning your piercing so the only thing others notice is your righteous face jewelry.
Wash your hands thoroughly with anti-bacterial soap and water to ensure that no bacteria could transfer to your piercing.
Fill a glass with 1 cup of warm water and add 1 to 2 teaspoons of sea salt or table salt. Stir the water using a spoon until all of the salt granules dissolve.
Insert a cotton ball into the salt water and hold it under until it is saturated.
Hold the cotton ball over your eyebrow piercing for five minutes to allow the salt water to soften any dried blood or crusty material. If needed, lay a hand towel over the cotton ball to prevent it from dripping down into your eye.
Remove the cotton ball and wipe the skin around your piercing to remove the crusted portion. If you have a barbell-type piercing, brush it gently with a clean, soft-bristled toothbrush to remove the crust.
Rinse the piercing with cool water by splashing it over your face with your clean hands.
Grasp the piercing and twist it or wiggle it slightly to loosen it from the skin.
Dry the piercing by gently blotting it with a tissue. Do not rub the skin, as this can cause tearing or bleeding.
- Clean your eyebrow piercing two to three times a day until it is fully healed. After it heals, clean the area once a day.
- In general, it takes between six and eight weeks for an eyebrow piercing to fully heal.
- Do not touch your eyebrow piercing unless you are cleaning it. Touching the pierced area increases the risk of infection.
- Do not dry the piercing with a hand towel, which may contain bacteria that can cause infection.
- Do not use alcohol or hydrogen peroxide to clean your piercing, as these chemicals are too strong and can cause irritation.
- BananaStock/BananaStock/Getty Images