Does Chicken or Beef Keep You Feeling Fuller Longer?

Raw poultry and red meat

Polka Dot Images/Polka Dot/Getty Images

Feeling full throughout the day helps minimize cravings and makes following a healthy diet much easier. When you are maintaining your weight, or trying to drop a few pounds, eating food that keeps you feeling full for longer helps. Protein, such as that from chicken or beef, takes time for your body to digest and can ward off hunger longer than simple carbohydrates or fats. The more protein the meat has, the longer you remain sated. While beef contains more protein, it is healthier to eat more chicken. A number of factors determine whether chicken or beef keeps you feeling full for longer.

Chicken Nutrition

Skinless chicken breast meat is the leanest cut of poultry, according to the Mayo Clinic. One 3-ounce serving of skinless chicken breast contains about 75 calories. It also contains 1 gram of fat, 48 milligrams of cholesterol and 86 milligrams of sodium. One serving of chicken breast contains about 18 grams of protein, making up 90 percent of its nutritional content; the remaining 10 percent is fat.

Beef Nutrition

Top sirloin steak is one of the leanest cuts of beef available, according to the Mayo Clinic. There are approximately 158 calories in one 3-ounce serving of top sirloin. One serving also contains about 5 grams of fat, 2 grams of which are saturated, 75 milligrams of cholesterol and 57 milligrams of sodium. The protein content of one 3-ounce serving of top sirloin is about 26 grams. Protein comprises about 74 percent of the top sirloin steak; the remaining 26 percent is fat.


The protein content of one serving of top sirloin steak will likely keep you feeling full for slightly longer than one serving of chicken. However, the Mayo Clinic recommends eating beef infrequently, while chicken is safe to eat every day. At a recommended intake of 6 ounces of lean protein daily, you can eat two 3-ounce servings of chicken safely. In contrast, you should only eat about one serving of beef per week. While beef might keep you feeling full for longer, chicken is the healthier option. If you are concerned about satiety with one meal, eat two 3-ounce servings of chicken; this will keep you feeling full for longer than one 3-ounce serving of beef.

Tips to Feel Full For Longer

Eat whole grains, vegetables, fruits or legumes in each meal. These foods take longer to digest and prolong the feeling of fullness. Drink a glass of water before each meal to help fill your stomach so you feel full faster. Continue to drink water during and after the meal to increase the full sensation. Starting the meal with a leafy salad or broth-based soup also helps create the feeling of fullness. Chicken or beef should not be the focus of a meal, and do not maintain feelings of fullness well without the help of fruits, vegetables, grains or legumes.