White flakes of dandruff result from excessive shedding of dead skin cells from the scalp. Anti- dandruff shampoo may not be enough to solve this embarrassing problem. Try a range of remedies and options to reduce flaking and eliminate dandruff.
Increase your daily intake of vitamin A and the B vitamins. Take them in supplemental form, or increase your intake naturally through your diet.
Take 1,000 milligrams of black currant oil supplement daily. It contains gamma-linolenic acid, which encourages a healthy scalp and good hair growth.
Wash your hair regularly, and use a shampoo containing selenium sulfide or salicylic acid until the dandruff clears. Both ingredients have been shown to reduce dandruff more than regular shampoos and other types of dandruff shampoo.
Add 5 drops of cedarwood oil or tea tree oil to 4 tablespoons of jojoba oil. Massage the mixture into your scalp after shampooing. Wait for 10 to 15 minutes, then rinse out gently with cold water.
- “Nutrition Almanac”; John D. Kirschmann, et al.; 2006
- “Prescription for Herbal Healing”; Phyllis A. Balch; 2002
- “Textbook of Cosmetic Dermatology”; Robert Baran; 2005
- “Aromatherapy: Essential Oils for Vibrant Health and Beauty”; Roberta Wilson; 2002
- Jupiterimages/Comstock/Getty Images