White flakes of dandruff result from excessive shedding of dead skin cells from the scalp. Anti- dandruff shampoo may not be enough to solve this embarrassing problem. Try a range of remedies and options to reduce flaking and eliminate dandruff.
Items you will need
- Vitamin supplements
- Black currant oil supplement
- Shampoo with selenium sulfide or salicylic acid
- Cedarwood oil
- Tea tree oil
- Jojoba oil
Increase your daily intake of vitamin A and the B vitamins. Take them in supplemental form, or increase your intake naturally through your diet.
Take 1,000 milligrams of black currant oil supplement daily. It contains gamma-linolenic acid, which encourages a healthy scalp and good hair growth.
Wash your hair regularly, and use a shampoo containing selenium sulfide or salicylic acid until the dandruff clears. Both ingredients have been shown to reduce dandruff more than regular shampoos and other types of dandruff shampoo.
Add 5 drops of cedarwood oil or tea tree oil to 4 tablespoons of jojoba oil. Massage the mixture into your scalp after shampooing. Wait for 10 to 15 minutes, then rinse out gently with cold water.
See your doctor if home care does not reduce your dandruff. You may have a fungal infection of the scalp.
- “Nutrition Almanac”; John D. Kirschmann, et al.; 2006
- “Prescription for Herbal Healing”; Phyllis A. Balch; 2002
- “Textbook of Cosmetic Dermatology”; Robert Baran; 2005
- “Aromatherapy: Essential Oils for Vibrant Health and Beauty”; Roberta Wilson; 2002
- Jupiterimages/Comstock/Getty Images