Graphology, or the study of handwriting to predict personality, might strike you as a little far-fetched, but experts like Anna Koren have made it their life’s work, often comparing it to the interpretation of dreams widely practiced by psychologists. And, graphologists claim your doodles can be just as revealing as your penmanship—because unlike drawing, “doodling” is random, driven by your subconscious mind.
Curious? See what 5 of the most common types of doodles say about you…
1. Repetitive Shapes Drawing the same shape in a cluster or row means you’re patient, have a methodical mind, and don’t give up on things easily. But it’s easy to go overboard with that—so watch out if you tend to repeat circles or zigzags in particular. The back-and-forth motion of the zigzag, and the circle going around itself, both imply that your orderly nature is now stuck in a rut, and you feel like you’re doing the same thing over and over again with no progress.
2. Geometric Shapes Triangles, squares, and other angular shapes suggest that you’re a planner at heart. You are very organized—and if you draw your shapes in 3-D (like a cube instead of just a square) you’re also working on solving a problem, looking at it clearly from all sides.
3. Dark (Heavy Pressure) A bit tense, are we? Doodling with heavy pressure indicates high energy, which could mean difficulty concentrating, tension, or even feelings of aggression.
4. Angular Shapes Pointy shapes, like stars and arrows, are signs of focus and motivation. Drawing one star indicates you have your mind set on one particular goal… and expect a good outcome! Arrows mean you’re ambitious, determined, and competitive. However, if you’re drawing a sharp crosshatch pattern like bars, or the angular pattern of a spider web, you may be feeling thwarted, suffocated, or trapped.
5. Soft, Rounded, or Fluid Lines If your doodles contain soft, fluid lines, you’re a sensitive soul. But if your shapes are random (like say, squiggly lines) instead of actual objects, your “sensitivity” could lean toward instability. On the other hand, rounded objects like hearts and flowers mean you’re feeling calm, perhaps even in love. Just pay attention to any dark influences. Flowers with a round center and pointy stems could mean you’re hiding your sensitivity under a tough exterior. Likewise, dark, thickly-traced hearts could mean you’re longing for a new relationship… or a better one.