Items you will need
- Plastic wrap
- Petroleum jelly, baby oil or lotion
- Window cleaner
- String or dental floss
Whether due to pregnancy, joint swelling or general weight gain, it's important to remove a ring stuck on your finger immediately to avoid lack of blood flow to the tissues in your hand. While it's not impossible to get the ring off using home remedies, you can also remove it with a jeweler's ring cutter -- or seek treatment at your local fire department or Emergency room.
Lather soap all over your finger. Put your finger under warm water. Pull on it until it slips loose.
Envelop your finger from the ring up as tight as you can with clingy plastic food wrap. Grease up the ring with petroleum jelly, baby oil or lotion and your swollen finger below the clingy wrap. Wait a couple of minutes ,then pull the ring and the clingy wrap at the same time.
Spray window cleaner on the ring. This works better than lotion because it doesn't damage the precious stones and leaves the ring shiny when you finally get the ring off your swollen finger. Twist the ring around your finger while pulling it off.
Take a piece of thick string or dental floss and wrap it very tightly down to the ring starting from the top of your finger. Put the end of the string under the ring then pull up slowly working up over the top of the string.
- American Society for Surgery of the Hand: Removing a Ring Safely
- Joey Green's Fix-It Magic: More Than 1,971 Quick-And-Easy Household Solutions Using Brand-Name Products; Joey Green
- First Aid, CPR, and AED; Alton L. Thygerson, Benjamin Gulli, Jon R. Krohmer
- Roberts and Hedges’ Clinical Procedures in Emergency Medicine; James R. Roberts, Jerris R. Hedge
- Alexey Romanov/iStock/Getty Images